Methodist minister

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head Mule

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Religion is Man's attempt to reach God.
Jesus Christ is God's attempt to reach Man.
But, it's always bricks'n'mortar and Man that get in the way.
While I do see the reason to have a place to congregate, some houses of "worship" seem more to me a shrine to the worship of money. The best connections I ever feel with God are when I am on a lake or just out in the open, or a timber

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I do see the reason to have a place to congregate, some houses of "worship" seem more to me a shrine to the worship of money. The best connections I ever feel with God are when I am on a lake or just out in the open, or a timber
I remember sitting in trinity baptist church in Yukon many years ago, when it was still on Vandament. The preacher was on stage asking us to pray for a land deal that will put the church on much more valuable property..as they were passing the plates around. It left a very sour taste. Of course they did get a land deal and put them on the many acres on Garth Brooks south of I40.

Head Mule

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember sitting in trinity baptist church in Yukon many years ago, when it was still on Vandament. The preacher was on stage asking us to pray for a land deal that will put the church on much more valuable property..as they were passing the plates around. It left a very sour taste. Of course they did get a land deal and put them on the many acres on Garth Brooks south of I40.
Many many churches have lost the meaning I believe

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lutherans pulled away from the Church in Rome long ago, with reason. Episcopalians/Anglicans (a form of Catholicism) have been pulling away for the fringe left from some time.

I lump the Lutherans as they pulled away and moved left of center. There have been schisms, most sects are now seeing them in droves, In my travels I have seen far more left than centrist or theologically what one could call “High Church”.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lutherans pulled away from the Church in Rome long ago, with reason. Episcopalians/Anglicans (a form of Catholicism) have been pulling away for the fringe left from some time.

I lump the Lutherans as they pulled away and moved left of center. There have been schisms, most sects are now seeing them in droves, In my travels I have seen far more left than centrist or theologically what one could call “High Church”.
Yes, the Lutherans left the Catholic Church centuries ago because of its non-biblical practices and teachings, which the Pope, at that time, refused to address. Most of said practices have been reformed in the centuries since.
But as far as the leftward lurch by many Protestant denominations since the 1960s. the Lutheran Church has stood apart and remained rooted in scripture. I'll admit there is one Lutheran denomination, (the "Evangelical Lutheran Church of America", or ELCA) that has embraced much of the leftist agenda, including LBTGQXYZ culture. They're looked upon by mainstream Lutherans the same way traditional conservatives would look at a "Republican" group that was in favor of open borders, higher taxes, and repealing the 2nd amendment.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been a methodist all my life, with a predominantly methodist family. I am seriously considering either going back to worship in the woods, and on the water, or seeking a different route. It very honestly seems to me that our church "leaders" seem to be ok with open blasphemy to God. Some of what I have been reading lately is more like letting the inmates run the asylum, rather than love the sinner, hate the sin. Or trying to show them the way out of the darkness.
Religion is Man's attempt to reach God.
Jesus Christ is God's attempt to reach Man.
My experiences, observations are that bricks'n'mortar and Man get in the way.
Til God personally announces a revision, I'm sticking with His inspired word 1.0.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the Lutherans left the Catholic Church centuries ago because of its non-biblical practices and teachings, which the Pope, at that time, refused to address. Most of said practices have been reformed in the centuries since.
But as far as the leftward lurch by many Protestant denominations since the 1960s. the Lutheran Church has stood apart and remained rooted in scripture. I'll admit there is one Lutheran denomination, (the "Evangelical Lutheran Church of America", or ELCA) that has embraced much of the leftist agenda, including LBTGQXYZ culture. They're looked upon by mainstream Lutherans the same way traditional conservatives would look at a "Republican" group that was in favor of open borders, higher taxes, and repealing the 2nd amendment.
New acquaintance at my church's periodic evening classes shared that his wife was raised Catholic. He didn't share his upbringing. I inquired. He responded he had been Lutheran.
I smiled and thought....Maybe slightly out loud.....ah, Catholic Lite.
His wife enjoyed that, he not as much.
I dated a Lutheran girl during college. Mom wasn't warm to her "heathen" upbringing...Christians...HUH?!?!
I didn't ask her to marry me, went a home team preacher's daughter direction. Lasted 30 years, grew weary of the alcoholism, feared to get that dreaded call in middle of night. She rebelled her whole life from the overly controlling church, her parents. Always the best looking woman in the room, life of the party, sadly learned to worship at the altar of alcohol the most. Preacher's kid died in drunk driving accident with a friend. Sadly, she was the drunk. My son got that call. Didn't think that one fully through.
Lutheran girl passed this past November. Should have married that heathen girl 55 years ago, again 23 years ago when we were both single again. Too soon old, too late smart.
Religion often gets in the way of life.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New acquaintance at my church's periodic evening classes shared that his wife was raised Catholic. He didn't share his upbringing. I inquired. He responded he had been Lutheran.
I smiled and thought....Maybe slightly out loud.....ah, Catholic Lite.
His wife enjoyed that, he not as much.
I dated a Lutheran girl during college. Mom wasn't warm to her "heathen" upbringing...Christians...HUH?!?!
I didn't ask her to marry me, went a home team preacher's daughter direction. Lasted 30 years, grew weary of the alcoholism, feared to get that dreaded call in middle of night. She rebelled her whole life from the overly controlling church, her parents. Always the best looking woman in the room, life of the party, sadly learned to worship at the altar of alcohol the most. Preacher's kid died in drunk driving accident with a friend. Sadly, she was the drunk. My son got that call. Didn't think that one fully through.
Lutheran girl passed this past November. Should have married that heathen girl 55 years ago, again 23 years ago when we were both single again. Too soon old, too late smart.
Religion often gets in the way of life.
And, I should have married that stripper in '96.

Latest posts

Top Bottom