any good truck driving schools in oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am tired of making pocket change for my weekly wages. i am wanting/needing more money. i am looking at truck driving. i had originally wanted to do hot shot driving but i guess you still have to have a cdl so i figure i will go to school and try a little big riggin' for awhile. i have visited all the big company sites like cr england, werner, schneider, prime and after reading reviews im not sure if i want to go to one of those. the only good thing i see for most of them is that they will front you the money for the school and you pay it back over a year; which is a good thing since i am broke.

i like the looks of the central tech school in tulsa, but dont have the tuition money that they require.

so, are there any schools in oklahoma that will front you the tuition money and let you pay it out?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Vo Tech in Burns Flat is supposed to be starting something up. The Vo Tech in Ft.Cobb already has one. I am not sure if its what you are looking for. Some of the guys around here, have went to the school at Ft.Cobb and pretty much had a job promised upon completion and licensing.

OKIE-CARBINE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah i have looked at the vo techs and arbuckle; only thing is, i am going to have to have some financial assistance. going to check with workforce oklahoma to see what they can do.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Entry Level Operator Assistant I - Frac/Acid

is that what you are talking about? does that involve more than just driving? hard to tell exactly what you would be doing by reading the job description.

Yeah that's it. Yes, driving is a small part of the job. You would be rigging up, rigging down the jobs and operating a piece of equipment during the frac. We work 70-100 hours a week and you can expect to earn at least $60k your first year. All time spent at the well site is paid, so even if you are sleeping in the truck on break you are getting paid. Plus you get a $30 per day perdiem everyday you are out.

Eta- I forgot to add that you can sometimes move into a driving only position, such as delivering the sand storage units to the locations.

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it was mentioned,but here goes.

Central Tech in Drumright.

I worked for the State of Texas as a Scientist at the time. With government jobs...time built up is lost if you don't use it...vacation/sick.

I'm always open to learning and getting certified in anything I can...I like a challenge,so I do it.

I took time off and went to that school...back in'97/98...also wanted to be certified so when the wife and I retire...we can buy a BIG bus/RV and I'll have the CDL.

They have a big driving track behind the classroom and different road requirements set up....hill/shift up, railroad track...full stop....45°angles to back into. Then you take road trips to Cushing,Bristow,Tulsa.

There were alot of recruiters there and a few of the guys were signed up for JCT trucking...if they passed, they were employed, if they failed they payed for the school.

If I remember correctly....back then it was $1200,out of pocket. I did get my tanker, double/triples, and hazmat endorsements.

Call them and ask questions...things may have changed.

I let my hazmat go, homeland security makes you retest,I don't drive a truck, so I let it go.

The school helps with all the driving testing and written. The final driving test allowed only 2 pull ups when backing up...or you fail. You gotta know when to downshift going down a hill and parking on a hil
, then taking off smoothly....other stuff.

Some people did fail. One person freaked out driving down the interstate to Tulsa...failed.

I thought it was fun and had a blast.

**Now for my next adventure....in a few months...I want to take the Professional Engineer's license. I'll never use it, but I have a few buddies who took it and passed....so can I.

Good Luck!!

Cohiba

Latest posts

Top Bottom