Any interest in attending a bug out weekend trip??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep on the water.
I'm good to go either on the "on your own" or the "group" thing. Personally, I think it would be fun to have one communal meal, at least. It would be a good way to test ones own "works and plays well with others" skill set... Let's hear ideas about what we wanna cook. I've got no aversion to dragging my smoker out there and throwing a couple pork shoulders on it. Since we are maintaining a fire, it won't be much more effort to maintain the smoker overnight. As for smaller items like brauts or such, we could add them at a time when needed. You have all heard my idea, so spit them out... This isn't a dictatorship.

As for activities, I want to see the following, at least:

Shelter building - not tent standing
Fire starting - not kingsford
Land nav- not gps
Water purification- not culligan bottle
Basic self defense - I'm not volunteering to get pepper sprayed!
Firearms retention
Small game processing, if we can kill something...
Improvised first aid in a wilderness setting

I sure I'm missing a thousand things, so speak up...

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fwiw, I want to brag a little... My local SAR team had a sure enough missing person yesterday. We got the call about 1:45pm and had the lady found and on a medivac chopper by 6:30pm. She was about 80 yrs old and type 2 diabetic. She had wandered about 3/4 mile through heavy vegitation and brush. It was thick enough that the helo could not spot her. She had sat down against a tree and was done. With the exception of her getting lost to start with, nothing could have went better. We set up and run it as a level 4 incident from the beginning and it was textbook. I was pretty proud of my little bunch of rednecks...

I'm through bragging now, carry on...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good on you and your guys!!

That's a pretty good list you have there. I've butchered my fair share of small game so if we can catch it, I can help show someone how to clean it.

And I make a mean apple cobbler in the dutch oven ... Probably can come up with some decent biscuits, too ...

Let's see if we can get GC to volunteer for the pepper spray!! :lookaroun :lmfao: I can't do that ... I get just a whiff of that backspray and I'm done. It works better on me than the folks that get it direct! Blah!

The communal dinner is a great idea ... We've got plenty of camping stuff that we can drag out ... but I'd like to try my hand at building a little shelter, too. I thought about using a hammock but am kinda rethinking that idea cuz if it's cold I'm gonna need to cuddle up with GC ... ;)

I am so looking forward to this!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What time frame are folks thinking for this? I'm interested in attending, if I'm home. Can BB make muffins in a dutch oven? ;-)

Someone farther up suggested some retention training...good idea IF we can agree to some very strict protocols for firearms handling during the training period and/or get some blue guns. Bringing a random group of folks together for ad hoc training can be a recipe for disaster.

I'm tempted to go with a improvised shelter, but I have a nice lightweight backpacking tent....

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Timeframe is the weekend of Mar 16. I may be able to come up with blue/red guns. If not, I have some Airsoft pistols.

I imagine that most will be in tents, but that doesn't mean that one cannot build a shelter, too. Think of this more as a weekend workshop than a do or die weekend.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So for activities we possibly have:

Shelter building
weapons retention
navigation
Basic first aid
Cleaning Game

What we need to bring:
Bug out bag(so we can compare)
Your own shelter/sleeping bag/camp stuff *if you need to borrow something speak up*
Chair for campfire
Something for the Pot Luck
Anything else you might need *hint* ill share my TP but i get to use it first.

Contest's:
Fastest fire builder *boil 1 GI canteen full of water* I'll provide a prize or prizes

Please add anything else.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What time frame are folks thinking for this? I'm interested in attending, if I'm home. Can BB make muffins in a dutch oven? ;-)

Someone farther up suggested some retention training...good idea IF we can agree to some very strict protocols for firearms handling during the training period and/or get some blue guns. Bringing a random group of folks together for ad hoc training can be a recipe for disaster.

I'm tempted to go with a improvised shelter, but I have a nice lightweight backpacking tent....

Ohhhhhh, gosh, I hope you can make it. Muffins won't work but I could make a cranberry grunt ... No, seriously ... that's what it's called because of the noise it makes while it's cooking ... :lmfao:

Latest posts

Top Bottom