Any interest in attending a bug out weekend trip??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jake, there will be trees there. Im planning on using a hammock, myself. Bring the traps, and we will try em out...

Ohhhh, seriously?!?! I've been wanting to try the hammock thing ... Maybe I can build a shelter for GC and then go crawl into MY hammock!! He's a little leery of "swinging" ... :P

Jake, YEAH!! I hope your wife likes it too!! :w000t: What kind of hammock do you have? I keep looking at them but they all look the same (except for the price) ... I have no idea what makes a good hammock and what doesn't ... Tips and tricks are always welcome! :)

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think DD Hammocks are the best. They're based out of England. They're super simple and rugged. They also have double layers to use for insulation. Also, the bottom is waterproof and the bug net is built in. So you can technically use the hammock as a single person tent if there are no trees. You take 2 sticks (I use my hiking poles) and pitch the bug net on each side and you're good to go. This is the main reason I bought it. No trees, no big deal. Although I'd prefer having them.

I've had mine for a few years now and have used it 15-20 times. They're great. You can have it out and up in 2-3mins. DD also sells nice lightweight tarps to cover the hammocks in case of bad weather. Shipping usually only takes 3 days, which is wild. I can't say enough good things about them. Except for the pouch/bag the hammock is supposed to be stored in. The stitching came out pretty quick. Luckily, the wife can sew.

Also, I have an older model, back when they only had one kind of hammock. Looks like they have a few options now. All would be great choices.

Here's their website. I just ordered direct:

http://www.ddhammocks.com/

Here's a review of the one I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEhzZ771PnI

There are some pretty cool accessories you can get to go along with your hammock to make it quicker to put up. Like the whoopie sling (weird name I know). But I would suggest just getting the standard DD hammock or trying one out at this meet and go from there.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Lord, my ADHD must have set in as I have no idea how I missed ALL of this ... LOL

Yea but, but, I want baked goods! You're teasing me with cobblers and grunts and I'm just a-salivatin'. You gonna be at the EnS at Weatherby's?

I wish but there is just no way ... I have a wedding quilt to make :w000t: (In my defense I only got 3 days' notice!!:shocked:) and we have company coming into town for dinner Saturday ... I sure hope Andy does this again as I had a GREAT time at the last one he had. He's a good feller ... easy on the eyes too :hey3:, very handsome fella ... :kiss:

Cranberry grunt and a little sniff off of a flask secreted away in my pack....sounds like a good way to end the day around a fire!

Hmmmm ... I'm with you ... :drooling:

Elderberries make me grunt.

LOL ... that's a visual I'll never get rid of now! :nono1::bah::rollingla:rollingla:rollingla

Hey BB,

While I believe land nav is something everyone should learn, and I think you will enjoy it thoroughly, another option is a Bushnell Backtrack.

These things are great for finding your way back to where you started. Very simple to use and cheap for what it is. If nothing else, it will make sure that your using your land nav skills correctly. Just a thought.

Here's a link:

http://www.cabelas.com/handheld-gps-bushnell-backtrack-gps.shtml

And if you don't mind pink, they can be had on Amazon for $45 shipped.

Ehhhh ... I'm not real big into pink unless it's thermal underwear that's clearanced ... THEN I'll "go pink" as they say ... But, I'll keep that GPS thingee in mind ... Might wind up with one anyway ... A girl can never have too many toys! :wink2: The guys will only make fun of me for having something pink until they see me shoot ... :lmfao:

Thanks for the suggestions on the hammock. I think I'll get one like yours and give it a whirl at the camp out. I'll be sure to do an extra layer of stitching on the pouch thing before I use it. Shouldn't take but a few minutes and I have some pretty heavy quilting thread around here somewhere ... Man ... I'm gonna be the girl with all new stuff!

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not trying to be a spoiler or stickler for the Law(JBTs will be present) but Oklahoma has a trapping season and small game seasons.

I think trapping season ends Jan 31 and Squirrel season end Jan 01.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to be a spoiler or stickler for the Law(JBTs will be present) but Oklahoma has a trapping season and small game seasons.

I think trapping season ends Jan 31 and Squirrel season end Jan 01.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I just checked and it's not looking good.

End dates:

Rabbit March 15th

Squirrel January 31st

Trapping (RACCOON, BOBCAT, BADGER, GRAY FOX, RED FOX, MINK, MUSKRAT, OPOSSUM & WEASEL) February 28th

Sucks.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:lookarounI pretty sure the little bastards are eating my pecan crop. Might have to "protect" the trees...

:lookaroun JBTs ... I don't see no JBTs ... :lookaroun Just a bunch of guys with really, really short hair ... :lookaroun

And how in the world can there not be open season on squirrels ... If I had a dime for every squirrel running the trees and hi-lines of my neighborhood I'd be a rich woman! :scratch:

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another option on the hammocks is the Hennessey Hammock, they are out of Canada. I have 2 of these, one for me and one for the wife. I'm 6'3" so I use the larger size. They have special lightweight units for backpacks. What I rally like about them is the rain guard. This hammock can also be set up to be used on the ground.

Here is a link to the Hennessey home page.
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock

There is a site here in OKC that sells the Hennessey.
http://www.bestchoicepreps.com/category/HAMMOCK.html

Chaseme3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are newbs allowed to go? Im only 21 and 5' 3" so idk what much I could bring to the table other than a willing spirit lol. Id bring my wife and baby along too just to make sure when the crap hits the fan they won't drive me too crazy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom