Any OSA Science Fiction fans? Who/What are your favorite authors/types?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JB kind of inspired me with his horror fiction thread.

Are there any science-fiction fans as well?

List your favorite:

Authors
Works
Genre ("hard science fiction", "sci-fi-fantasy", etc.)

For example:
I like Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, Isaac Asimov, James Blish, Arthur C. Clarke (maybe I'll come up with more later)

Some of my favorite works are: "The Mote in God's Eye", "Ringworld", "Foundation", Asimov's Robot stories, and lots of short story sc-fi anthologies.

Genre's: Mostly hard science-fiction or military related sc-fi but I am also a Star Trek fan and like some other one-off sci-fi works.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I liked Dan Simmons' "Hyperion" series and David Brin's "Uplift" books, but not a lot of other stuff comes to mind. I can't remember the Asimov that I've read, but I remember liking it.
I like "Blakes 7" and "Mystery Science Theater 300" in particular.

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll play... I like compilations of short stories. Read one then put the book down and come back later. Caters to my short attention span LOL

Favorite authors: Arthur C Clarke, Harlan Ellison, Ursula K Leguin, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov

I like the hard science stuff more than the fantasy sci-fi. And I am a trekker. Met James Doohan around 1975 at a fund raiser for the first Star Trek movie. Met Leonard Nimoy around 1980 when he was doing a one man show on Vincent van Gogh.

Yeah, I'm a major nerd.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, Pohl, Asimov, Vernor Vinge, Allan Steel, David Brin and a bunch of others.

I can't really explain the type of of story I like. It has to be the proper mix of a Sci-fi elements along with a good story element and a particular style of writing, that moves the story forward.

A few of my favorite books:

Time enough for love- Heinlein
Footfall- Niven and Pournelle
Orbital Decay- Alan Steele
The Heechee series-Fred Pohl

and many, many more!!!

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's not forget some of these:

Ray Bradbury--Twice 22 (good collection of short stories)
Roger Zelazny--The Sheep Look up
Philip K. Dick--Do Androids dream of Electric sheep (Blade Runner)
Samuel R. Delany--The Towers of Toron
Frank Herbert--Dune

I'm more of a sci-fi than a sci-fantasy person. Never got into dragonriders and such. Niven is good, he did "Lucifer's Hammer".

I used to be much more into it than I am now.

Interesting to see who wrote what for the old Star Trek series. Harlon Ellison did a bunch of them. I think he did "City on the Edge of Forever"

Dave

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll play... I like compilations of short stories. Read one then put the book down and come back later. Caters to my short attention span LOL

Favorite authors: Arthur C Clarke, Harlan Ellison, Ursula K Leguin, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov

I like the hard science stuff more than the fantasy sci-fi. And I am a trekker. Met James Doohan around 1975 at a fund raiser for the first Star Trek movie. Met Leonard Nimoy around 1980 when he was doing a one man show on Vincent van Gogh.

Yeah, I'm a major nerd.

OK, now I have to date myself - as a young lad I met William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols, DeForest Kelly, and Grace Lee Whitney at what may have been the first ever Star Trek Convention at the Commodore Hotel in Manhattan (I think it was 1974 and I was 10). To this day I am thankful that my father - who didn't care a whit for Star Trek - was willing to put up with a day of nonsense to let his little Star Trek fan son have some fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom