Any OSA Science Fiction fans? Who/What are your favorite authors/types?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone read Robert Adams? I loved reading some of the Horseclans novels as a kid... just remembered those. I think I'm going to go see if I can find some of them online, maybe used for good prices.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huge Sci-Fi fan. My favorite authors are Greg Bear, Larry Niven, Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein.

Favorite books are Clarke's Rama series, Bear's Eon series, And Mofitt's Genesis Quest.

I used to scour the used paperback stores. I have a collection of several dozen first edition paperbacks from the 50's on. It's wierd seeing a price of 35 cents on a book.

I have about 200 books on my Kindle, 80% are Sci-Fi.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got inspired by this thread and picked up a trio of Adams' Forgotten Realms hardbacks on Egay this morning. Sniped another bidder with 10 seconds left! lol. $5 ea shipped for some excellent cond hardcovers.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov are required reading, as is the first Dune trilogy.

Lately I have been exposed to George R R Martin's (Game of Thrones guy) short stories, many of which are ridiculously good sci fi in the classic mold.

Bascially, the BEST sci fi, or fantasy, or whatever...has an actual good STORY at its core, and the "future" is merely an interesting setting which may be necessary to further a plot point, but that's it. Again, GRRM comes to mind here, with much of his work being very character driven.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like Robert A. Heinleins later books ... I even have a copy of 'Grumbles From The Grave' .... Started on Sci Fi when I was 13 ....... Always loved it.

If you have read "Grumbles from the Grave", you need to get William H. Patterson Jr.'s biography of R.A. Heinlein, " Learning Curve". It is the biography of the first half of Heinlein's life. It really gives a good perspective of what was going on in his life when many of his first stories were being written. I'm waiting on the final volume that covers his later years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom