Any square foot gardners here....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just me so a large tradtional garden would be excessive and to much work. A smaller SF garden should fill my needs just fine.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Be prepared to water more than what you might normally do in a regular garden. You have to remember that you are growing more crops in a smaller space and it requires lots more water and nutrients. When growing many crops you will be growing two to three times the plants you would normally be growing in a row spaced garden. Water accordingly.

I still have carrots in the ground in my raised beds. I harvested the last of my fall beets and radishes before the first freeze we had. The onion plants will be going in in February soon as Keathly's nursery in Ponca City gets them in.

Michael

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on the spacing so that you can mow between the beds. Use lots of compost and multiple types. Don't make the beds too big to reach across. 4x6 suited us pretty well. Start small your first year. Have fun and keep it simple.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My square foot gardens have led to a different approach to my flower beds. I now plant carrots around my rosed.
Lettuce and panseys. My herb garden has zinnas, four o'clocks and sunflowers in them. And I still have four just garden
stuff with veggies. Because of the weather, and that I have cold frames the can cover some of my square foot gardens,
I have already turned each of my gardens and planted Texas Sweet onions. But we can really get cold as late as Easter.
I can remember and Easter here in Oklahoma, about 75 or 76' when it snowed 2 inches on Easter day.

Alan Frizzell

Marksman
Reaction score
My square foot gardens have led to a different approach to my flower beds. I now plant carrots around my rosed.
Lettuce and panseys. My herb garden has zinnas, four o'clocks and sunflowers in them. And I still have four just garden
stuff with veggies. Because of the weather, and that I have cold frames the can cover some of my square foot gardens,
I have already turned each of my gardens and planted Texas Sweet onions. But we can really get cold as late as Easter.
I can remember and Easter here in Oklahoma, about 75 or 76' when it snowed 2 inches on Easter day.

Have done some of my peppers spread amongst the perrenials and annuals but mostly in my 2 12x6 raised beds 8" high- no need to line under it. I keep spinach growing thru the winter-the deep snows of the last 2 years didn't affect it. Also snow peas for winter naturally fix nitrogen in the soil for summer plantings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom