Anybody have or had a Shelby Dakota?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
175hp 5.2L V8 instead of the 3.9L V6

only difference in those truly is 2 less cylinders - and they are a PITA to work on

I've never seen one but I did see a Shelby daytona last week. It was awesome. I thought it was a GLH-S for a second. Those were almost dangerously overpowered.

hell I miss my non shelby daytona - love those cars. My first car was an 85 daytona - they essentially set and paved the road for so many other cars like the eclipse/talon

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually just saw ont the other on north bound 169 in Tulsa. I remember saying to myself looks goofy and those stickers can't add more than 20hp.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic, but I will say I was fortunate enough to actually meet Mr. Shelby many years ago. Nice, HUMBLE man. MUCH more than I can say about Steve Saleen.

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic, but I will say I was fortunate enough to actually meet Mr. Shelby many years ago. Nice, HUMBLE man. MUCH more than I can say about Steve Saleen.

Very true, but Steve has yet to endorse a coffee maker of grill (that I'm aware of) or any of the other junk Shelby keeps getting in to. Don't get me wrong, Shelby has done some great things but good lord it has gotten crazy at times.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never seen or heard of these. I love limited edition cars and I owe it to watching a Syclone or Typhoon blow past our front yard at probably 3-4 times the neighborhood's 25mph speedlimit. It looked and sounded amazing.

The Syclone is a neat rig for sure and it definitely had some notable performance enchancement.

No, but one day I will have a Shelby Cobra
GT-500 BABY!!!

I think everyone wants one of those 2 cars, if not one of each but those are a little outside the limits of my pocketbook.

175hp 5.2L V8 instead of the 3.9L V6

This is accurate, engines available in the Dakota at the time were a 100hp 2.5L 4cyl engine or the 3.9L 125hp V6. Shelby's Dakotas had the 5.2L, 175hp V8 with 270 lbs/ft. of torque @ 2000 rpm. A stock V6 Dakota = 12.8 sec 0-60, Stock Shelby Dakota = 0-60 in 8.7 sec. It wasn't blowing past Camaros but for a pick-up it was quick at the time. I'd never buy one thinking I was going to go race it, unless I was ready to do have the engine/trans swapped. Evidently the 360 Magnum will drop right in and that's a much better place to start working if you want to go fast.

I actually just saw ont the other on north bound 169 in Tulsa. I remember saying to myself looks goofy and those stickers can't add more than 20hp.

There's a lot of that - I know several guys that think they look stupid. I can't explain what it is about the truck but I thought those early Dakotas were almost perfect as far as aesthetics. To me it it's what a truck should look like, I'm not on board with all the smooth lines and curves in new model pick ups - I like the F series from the early 90's for the same reason and the early 70's Chevys. I like boxy looking trucks and the Dakota is about as box shaped as it gets.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never owned one, but they were definitely in the running back when I was in the market for my current truck. ('93 Lightning.)
The Shelby Dakotas were actually a pretty big deal when they came out. Prior to that no one had ever offered a V8 engine in a truck that was less than a full-size half ton. Plus they increased the spring rates, upped the sway bar sizes, added a big (for the day) tire and wheel package, and other assorted tweaks to make it one of the highest performing truck packages anyone had ever seen from the factory. They've been overshadowed by various factory offerings since, but if Dodge and Shelby hadn't put this together and proved there was a market, who knows if there'd ever have been a Lightning or Scyclone?

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i leased a new 96 Dak back then, V8, SWB,auto, 3.90 gears, posi. and 4 wheel ABS.took it to thunder valley dragstrip 2 weeks before the lease was up,ran 15.3-15.2 with nothing more than clamping the front of the rear springs.a turbo eclispe beat me by half a car length, i out ran every thing else, trucks and cars.that thing would stop just as fast as it accelerated.save your money and look for one like mine. i am sure they are out their, if your Dak has 2 piece drive shaft replace it with a one piece if your going to stomp on it.sad note the day i returned it into dealer was the day columbine happened,i remember walking through the dealership looking at tv wondering what was going on??

Latest posts

Top Bottom