Anybody own a Webley?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of Webley and Enfield pistols in .38 S&W of the WW 2 variety. Anyone own any WW 1 vintage?

I've seen the .455 Eley converted to .45 acp.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a webley MK III that I wanted to get converted about 15 years ago and the general consensus I got was don't do it, I couldn't find anyone local at the time that would do it so I sold the gun.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I thought that you could use a form of moon clip on them to make em take 45ACP instead of the .455. No I don't have one, but I kind of would like to. I like old top breaks pistols. Just something interesting and cool about them

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I thought that you could use a form of moon clip on them to make em take 45ACP instead of the .455. No I don't have one, but I kind of would like to. I like old top breaks pistols. Just something interesting and cool about them

one guy I talked to told me if I reloaded my own .45 auto rim and I did it on the weak side I would be okay he also said something about milling some part down, it all sounded like a crappy way to treat a nice gun so I sold it to a collector that would appreciate the gun the way it was made.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I inherited one a couple of years ago. It is a MARK "IV" according to markings on the left side of the top strap. Has a four inch barrel and "bird's head" grips, one of which is a bit chipped. Still has the lanyard loop. An owner previous to the friend I inherited this from had put his name and SS# all over it. Otherwise it's in pretty good shape.

Finish looks like chipped shellac and the DA trigger proves not all Brits were wimps. Fun to shoot, though I did not trust it until someone told me the cylinder actually locks up when you pull the trigger. Lockup is tight, and the gap between cylinder and forcing cone looks pretty good.

Of course the face of the cylinder has been milled so it acccommodates .45 ACP with half moon or moon clips. I got 12 half moon clips with the gun.

I have no plans to sell it. It was my friend's house gun, and has killed all manner of undesirables in a semi rural setting. Actually in city limits, but no one cared and he had about 40 acres of wooded land.

It's laying by my keyboard. I sure wish my friend still had it and could use it. It's hard to lose folks you have known over 50 years.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No but I want one, saw a few when I was back home a few years ago but I could not convince the shop to ship it to an importer for me oh well, still looking

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used to have a .38 Webley, it would shoot about a 12" group with 38 S&W ammo at 7 yards.

A friend of mine shoots the original .455 Webleys. He has several. They are not as accurate as modern race guns, but he gets very good accuracy out of them. Was the 38 S&W what yours was designed for? My .455 is pretty accurate with .45 ACP.

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Original WW2 era .38/200. You could also pull the trigger and drop the hammer with the cylinder about 1/4 way out of time with the barrel. Had a friend with a WW1 era .455, that was a fun gun to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom