Pistol caliber shot shells

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Anybody load their own pistol caliber shot shells?
I'm down to 1 10 round box of .38/357 shot shells. Like many things ammunition, replacements are currently unavailable.
I'm a long time, experienced reloader but I've never tried making my own shot shells.
I'm looking to load .38/357 and .45 Colt shot shells.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have made them for 45acp but shot in a semi auto not a revolver.
I do not know how an uncaptured bird shot load would act with a forcing cone and cylinder gap so I never tried for 38 or 357.

I do shoot crayons from my 357 with a primer only for a propellant.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I loaded some copper BBs with cardboard wads punchcut out of a wheaties cereal box and IMR 4227 powder for snakes.I think I had 16 BBs stacked between wads over like 12gr of IMR 4227. If you push them too fast they scatter the pattern.
CCI now has #4 shotshells in 45 Colt.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I load my own in 38/357 and 44spl/mag I believe. It’s been years since I’ve loaded them (they last a while haha). I had great success with the Speer shotshell capsules (same ones that are factory loaded in the CCI shotshell ammo), and they come with their own load data, but they can be finicky to find. I’ve seen some people making them for revolvers but crimping the nose over a small cap, sort of like a shotgun shell), but never tried myself. Best of luck! Curious if someone can chime in with some better home made designs!

Latest posts

Top Bottom