Anyone else realize that you have way too much hunting crap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a large Rubber-Made tote that I keep all my Deer stuff in (and another that I keep all my duck stuff in) and I bust them out from the shed every year before the appropriate season to go through my stuff and get it ready.

This year, both my sons have out-grown almost all their hunting clothes, so we had to get a few things and upgrade some boots, but I went through my stuff and realized that I have a ton of crap I'll probably never use.

Anyone else get sucked into the cool-hunting-marketing that Academy, Bass Pro, and online sites tend to spew and get some stuff you don't need?

One thing I'm happy about is some of the camo I got that was light-weight breathable (no insulation) because of a few hot days two years ago - its going to come in handy this year.

I'm honestly thinking of not doing any camo if I'm in my stand or perched in a couple of spots we've got setup with some 100-200yd areas in front of us to shoot. I think I'm just going to bring my shooting mat and a sleeping bag and go to sleep on my rifle while my son does all the work :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My main issue with hunting stuff, is that I can't seem to throw anything away.
Hell, I have some of the original tiger stripe camo from the 70's in my totes.
The north side of the garage is a monument to deer hunting with 10 big tote boxes full of gear, and camo clothes.:lmfao:

I have to do some serious house cleaning with that stuff one of these days.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see the delima you're in. It must be aweful. As a kind hearted person I will force myself to allow you to burden me with your excess hunting gear. No need to thank me its a burden that I'm willing to take on.

:slap:

Too much hunting gear is like having too much ammo or to many guns.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't knock the tiger stripe camo. I know a guy that still manages to wear his from time to time.

I'm replinishing my gear this year. outgrew everything but my heavy coat. new pants, couple of shirts(long and short sheeve), insulated bibs, new boots, new gloves, etc.

I'm scared to see my year end statement from Capital One. I have put everything purchased from Academy and BP on it this year. I have no idea the total spent but it is going to be quite substantial. I'll have to figure out a storage place for everything.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still wear some of the tiger stripe stuff!
I ordered some gear from one of the box stores in the 70's and they offered a special on some bug proof clothing. Its a net type stuff thats a pants, and pullover combo that works really great in dove season and early bow to keep the bugs away. Better than a thermocell.:D

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried to sell some excess off in the past but if it's more than a few months old companies have already come out with the "new and improved" version so nobody wants my "old" crap. I finally started giving it to the kid who mows for me in the summer when I'm gone instead of paying him cash. It's like Christmas in the summer for him:) The one I was sucked into the worst was the Scent Lok stuff. I have a bunch of it and some of it has maybe been worn once or twice. Oh well, I guess when the kids get fat and old like me they'll get some nice lightly used camo.

rhenry2424

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't let your wives hear you don't have enough hunting accessories. They might cut you off from buying more.

I unfortunately get hand me downs from my husband. I buy him new clothes every couple of years, and I get the hand me downs. Wish my birthday was in the fall so he would think to buy me hunting stuff for it. In fact, he has never bought me anything related to hunting as a gift. Guess I better start dropping the hints for christmas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom