anyone ever brown a barrel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not hard. get some birchwood casey plum brown, a heat source, a couple wire handle swabs and some 0000 steel wool and some alcohol.
wipe down with alcohol, heat, swab on plum brown, wipe down with steel wool and repeat until even color all over. note-rinse steel wool with alcohol because it has oil in it to keep it from rusting. you don't have to get it real hot, just enough that the plum brown dries as soon as you swab it on.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis,
It's rust brown. I've never done it. It doesn't sound hard at all though. Just like any surface treatment, preparation seems to be the key.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis,
It's rust brown. I've never done it. It doesn't sound hard at all though. Just like any surface treatment, preparation seems to be the key.

OK. I have a .410 H&R that my dad and I did in some of the cheap hot blue we got at Otasco many years ago. Stayed blue for awhile, then took on the nicest brown patina that it still has to this day.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not hard. get some birchwood casey plum brown, a heat source, a couple wire handle swabs and some 0000 steel wool and some alcohol.
wipe down with alcohol, heat, swab on plum brown, wipe down with steel wool and repeat until even color all over. note-rinse steel wool with alcohol because it has oil in it to keep it from rusting. you don't have to get it real hot, just enough that the plum brown dries as soon as you swab it on.

Exactly. Did one many years ago on a kit gun. Turned out pretty good and has held up well. Getting rid of any traces of oil is the key to an even color......though a little mottling makes it look even older.

Latest posts

Top Bottom