Building another short action custom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a short rem 700 action taking up room in my safe. Already have a sporter style hs stock and some bottom metal. I already have a 7-08 ai 6 creed 308 6rem and 6.5 creed in customs. Leaning towards a 250 savage ai advanced .257 bullets would make a fine deer rifle for my son or toying with another 22 creed build or 22-243. (1:7 twist to run 90gr projectiles) I reload and like wildcats and obscure cartridges probably go with a benchmark or proof (steel) barrel if anyone has any other thoughts im open to other ideas. Wanting to stay 18-22” barrel length for running suppressed. Lots of good options out there.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you like the 6 creedmoor? Good at 1000? Compared to 6.5 creedmore flatter, or less wind drift? I have a 6.5x47 L but am intrigued by the 6 mm. Thank you.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the 6 creed. I run mine for predator control. 87 gr vmax pushed hard. I’ve shot it out to 1200 it’s fine out to that distance. My 6.5 creed is in a lightweight mountain rifle set up so can’t really apple to apple compare them. The higher bc 6.5 bullets have less wind deflection. If I were going to shoot heavy 6mm’s (I have but my rifle was built for lighter projectiles at faster speed) it would be easier to discern the data of closer g7 bc. In all my current short action setups speed kills with the exception of my 7-08 ackley they are all twisted for light for caliber bullets. I sold my 22 creed that I shot heavies out of. But might build one again twisted for heavier bullets.

John F Huber

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have a short rem 700 action taking up room in my safe. Already have a sporter style hs stock and some bottom metal. I already have a 7-08 ai 6 creed 308 6rem and 6.5 creed in customs. Leaning towards a 250 savage ai advanced .257 bullets would make a fine deer rifle for my son or toying with another 22 creed build or 22-243. (1:7 twist to run 90gr projectiles) I reload and like wildcats and obscure cartridges probably go with a benchmark or proof (steel) barrel if anyone has any other thoughts im open to other ideas. Wanting to stay 18-22” barrel length for running suppressed. Lots of good options out there.
Consider a trigger change. Easiest, fastest one component that improves your proficiency. The trigger synchronizes your senses by an exponent. Paul Mauser was right; I recommend 2-Stage aspect at BW 1 1/2# - 2#. High resolution in Time, Pressure and Energy management.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Consider a trigger change. Easiest, fastest one component that improves your proficiency. The trigger synchronizes your senses by an exponent. Paul Mauser was right; I recommend 2-Stage aspect at BW 1 1/2# - 2#. High resolution in Time, Pressure and Energy management.
I bought it for a donor action to build a custom off of. Have a couple 308’s that shoot excellent no need for another. Initially was going to build a 22 creed but life put that plan on hold until now. (Built a 22 creed and sold it on a stiller action) I have a trigger tech for the build already. Along with all the other details except a barrel. Really leaning towards 25 creedmoor or 250 savage ai.

Latest posts

Top Bottom