Anyone ever shoot at the Cimarron River in Ripley near Stillwater? Is it legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^^ go to the county clerks office and look at a plat map to see who owns it. Then get permission so there won't be any issues.

That brings up a question I'd had in the past; how often are those plat maps updated? Years ago when I used them for work, I sometimes found that an owner listed on the plat maps had since sold the property to someone else. I'd imagine with today's technology, the updates come faster.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what a Payne County Deputy told me:

"It's illegal to shoot across a(ny) river in Oklahoma."

I live in Ripley and thought I could just hop to the river for some rimfire fun,,,
But the deputy saw me get a rifle case out of my parked car,,,
That's when he told me about the illegality.

I don't know if his information was fact or not,,,
LEO's quite often make up the law to suit their agenda.

I just took the "warning" for what it was,,,
And drive the 35 miles to my range.

Aarond

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Then I would think you would be shooting off of a county road. If you aren't on the road, you're on someone's property.......despite the amount of trash and empties you see, somebody own's it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That brings up a question I'd had in the past; how often are those plat maps updated? Years ago when I used them for work, I sometimes found that an owner listed on the plat maps had since sold the property to someone else. I'd imagine with today's technology, the updates come faster.

Our county updates the data in the computer as the land sells, but the big maps only annually, and then they want 60-80 bucks for the full county map. Don't remember the exact price.
For just a couple of bucks they will pull up about 5 sq miles of an area your interested in that is current on some copy paper.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been years since I lived in Stillwater and Perkins, but I used to go below the Hwy 33 bridge and shoot on the river all the time. Even had a deputy shoot with me down there. I don't know if it was technically legal or not, but I never had any issues with anyone. Of course times have changed and I wouldn't want to steer you astray, but I'd bet it is still perceived as okay as long as you are responsible and not vandalizing anything.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sil was run off shooting at the mouth of Stillwater Creek there in Ripley. They told him about the bridge on 33.

I went there the other day to sight in my old 22.

Latest posts

Top Bottom