Anyone hunt in the cold Sunday morning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is how the forum now envisions you
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161220_757f860425b4674ad9f962c85418acf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HAHA! probably true. Came in last night after 9 degrees and started taking layers off. Huge pile on the floor. Pillsbury dough boy would be a better description. Wife just shakes head and calls me dumb for getting out there.
That's ok. Still getting out there at 65 and enjoying the time of my life.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure you read the back label on those "wool socks". Bought some browning wools and they sucked so I went to the store and read the material on the back and they were 80% polyester!! Said wool on the cover and they were $30. I wasn't very happy but that's what I get for buying browning products. Meaning accessories and clothing not weapons, like those. Went to cabelas and got some like 90% merino wools. They're pretty good but are wearing out. Anyone recommend some good wool socks and where to purchase?

Also, I've got into First Lite gear and it's nice but way too expensive. Got their Sanctuary Jacket for bow hunting and it's extremely warm. Found it on an archery forum on clearance for half off is the only reason I tried it. Got some UA duck hunting gear and it doesn't seem to hold up very well as it should for the price.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear these. Im happy with them. Held up for three seasons now.
https://www.amazon.com/Smartwool-Hunt-Extra-Heavy-Socks/dp/B00BQ93KWO

I have the first lite rain gear. The jacket is top notch! The pants were also excellent, till i stumbled through some really thick briars one morning. Got a couple holes in em now but I was still dry earlier this season when it rained all day. Still, I wished they were more rugged below the knees.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I still have some Woolrich insulated pants and coat, going on about 20 years old now. Either a heavy or light layer of thermal Rocky's top and bottom, 1 long sleeve cotton T shirt and Woolrich coat and pant is all I've ever warn for serious cold when sitting in a stand. Any kind of walking and hunting in cold weather, it doesn't require much for me to stay warm.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure you read the back label on those "wool socks". Bought some browning wools and they sucked so I went to the store and read the material on the back and they were 80% polyester!! Said wool on the cover and they were $30. I wasn't very happy but that's what I get for buying browning products. Meaning accessories and clothing not weapons, like those. Went to cabelas and got some like 90% merino wools. They're pretty good but are wearing out. Anyone recommend some good wool socks and where to purchase?

Also, I've got into First Lite gear and it's nice but way too expensive. Got their Sanctuary Jacket for bow hunting and it's extremely warm. Found it on an archery forum on clearance for half off is the only reason I tried it. Got some UA duck hunting gear and it doesn't seem to hold up very well as it should for the price.

Only thing I have liked about UA clothing is their base layer insulated cold gear. I use it and love it. Everything else seems to be just paying for the brand and crappy.

Layers for me.........get a good bottom layer that wicks moisture away, poly etc, nothing cotton.
Yesterday in duck blind............. UA base layer top/bottom, fleece wader pants, waders 800gram.............. Cotton long sleeve t-shirt turtle neck (wish I could find more of these), UA hoodie and a top coat to break the breeze. Baclava, fleece beanie for the head, pull up the hoodie hood if extra needed.
It was only in the mid teens and very light breeze so cutting a huge slab of ice out with chain saw and setting up dekes was a warm warm job.

I should have stayed home and slept. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom