anyone play Gran Turismo 5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can look at it one of three ways:

1) It's an amazing racing sim that is, without a doubt, the best racing sim in the entire history of human kind. It features in-car racing views for some cars, body damage, and new experience system that's bold and innovative. Nothing has ever come close to competing with this masterpiece, and to properly pay homage we should hang a copy in the Louvre, right next to the Mona Lisa.

2) Its menu system is horrendously and needlessly complex, as are its menu controls. Navigating through menus is one of the most cumbersome gaming experiences you'll ever have the displeasure of experiencing. Load times are atrocious and the in-game graphics aren't really that much better than in GT4. The "damage" is only available on certain "premium" cars and is so slight that it's truly pitiful that they even included it. You can run into a wall at 200 MPH and come away from it with only a dented fender. The in-car view is useless for racing, and the AI of the other racers seems to have taken a step back from the past games. You'll be on the receiving end of the other drivers' pit maneuvers more times than you'll care to count. There are numerous rough cuts (like altering your cars settings before a race) that seemed severely unpolished. When you win cars for completing races, instead of them automatically appearing in your garage, you must click on "Delivery", select the car, answer a question ("Are you sure you want to use this car?"), sit through a lengthy animation of the car pulling up to you from the darkness, then decide whether or not you want to actually get in the damn thing. It will take a good twenty seconds of your life to get that one damn car. And, to top it off, no matter how many other Gran Turismo games you played, no matter how many license test you passed, you still have to take the stupid things again. Basically it boils down to the programmers ran amuck with joy at some things and completely screwed up the rest. I waited for over five years for this?

3) The graphics are pretty good, but the menus look like the designers tried to fit way to much stuff in there. The racing is top notch, but the computer controlled drivers' AI was modeled after learning disabled monkeys, or, at the very least, people who were conceived with weak sperm. Everything has its own menu, and every menu has its own long wait time. The new experience system is actually preferable to me than the old license only system (though you still have to get the licenses). All in all, a good game with some definite hang ups that, while they do annoy the hell out of you when you experience them (every time you experience them), all that melts away once you get behind the wheel and start tearing up the track.

Until another car pit maneuvers you to hell.

I'm a number 3'er, and in fact just finished playing it for the night.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely, I think so. It has its flaws, but what game doesn't?

Yesterday I bought a '70 Chevelle and spent $150,000 doing everything I possibly could do to it. I ended up with an 800+ horsepower beast that shreds the hardest tires in the game within half a lap and is still able to almost lap the other cars of most races. It's kind of a special moment to have those rear tire indicators glowing red and having smoke constantly pour off the back tires and still win the race by a mile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom