Anyone rolling their own 22lr?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
No justification for me. A healthy stash of around .05 (averaged prices) per round provides the .22lr I need.
I have a decent stash of 22lr ammo to play with, probably getting close to 20k rounds or so. This is mostly a novelty. I’ve always thought that being able to qc each of my 22lr rounds would be nice, and the idea of a higher BC 22 bullet tickles my curiosity.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely keep us posted on this little project. I’m not sure exactly how you would measure the “quality” of the ammo, but after studying on this, I might want to try it myself.:scratch:

I recently acquired a Blaser R8, and there’s a 22 lr conversion available for it. However, everything I’ve heard about it says it requires ultra premium 22 ammo to really get good accuracy. I’ve been holding back on buying the barrel, because the best 22 ammo I have is upper end CCI. Being able to load my own might make owning the 22 barrel more worthwhile.:anyone:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely keep us posted on this little project. I’m not sure exactly how you would measure the “quality” of the ammo, but after studying on this, I might want to try it myself.:scratch:

I recently acquired a Blaser R8, and there’s a 22 lr conversion available for it. However, everything I’ve heard about it says it requires ultra premium 22 ammo to really get good accuracy. I’ve been holding back on buying the barrel, because the best 22 ammo I have is upper end CCI. Being able to load my own might make owning the 22 barrel more worthwhile.:anyone:

I will. I figure I’ll compare bullet drop over 50, 100, and 150 yards, as well as consistency. I believe cutting edge used a blazer R8 to do some of the testing for the loads on this ammo.

that CCI stuff might surprise you. My $5/box cci standard velocity was producing 3/4 moa groups at 50yds, while my $12 fiocci exacta winter match stuff was doing 1/2. Each would typically produce a flyer every 8-10 rounds, but the food I I was producing a flyer about 1/2” away from the group, as opposed to CCi’s 1”. That was out of my CZ457 with a match barrel/chamber.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched their video. It looks simple enough. The completed rounds looked like they were too long to use in a semi-auto.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure they all are, but these seem to be marketed towards the 22 bolt competition guys and ELR stuff. (22lr ELR just makes me laugh)
Is the brass pre primed?

yes it is. Drop the powder, seat the bullet, crimp it, and you’re done.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From internet lore, Blaser “regulates” the 22 barrels with Eley (IIRC), and everyone I know that has one shoots Eley or Lapua ammo. Truthfully, I’m not a match shooter and don’t really need sub MOA accuracy out of my 22’s. Minute of squirrel or coyote should suit me just fine.:anyone:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
From internet lore, Blaser “regulates” the 22 barrels with Eley (IIRC), and everyone I know that has one shoots Eley or Lapua ammo. Truthfully, I’m not a match shooter and don’t really need sub MOA accuracy out of my 22’s. Minute of squirrel or coyote should suit me just fine.:anyone:
I’m right there with you. I just need to be able to headshot squirrels consistently. I do have a few boxes of some regular eley high velocity stuff that shoots really well if you wanted to try it out for prepanic prices. You’re down south right? I might be going down to temple ok in the next month or two if that’s not far from you.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just need to be able to headshot squirrels consistently.
In my younger days, I never had a problem with the accuracy of Federal .22LR (solid nose, copper jacketed) in my Remington Fieldmaster. Sadly, I don't shoot much anymore.

Has the quality of off the shelf ammo degraded that much? :anywho:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m right there with you. I just need to be able to headshot squirrels consistently. I do have a few boxes of some regular eley high velocity stuff that shoots really well if you wanted to try it out for prepanic prices. You’re down south right? I might be going down to temple ok in the next month or two if that’s not far from you.
I appreciate the offer, but I’m a different “south” than where you’re going. I’m in deep east Texas.:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom