Anyone shooting a Savage ML10 II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Savage ML10II is an awesome Muzzle loader.

Disclaimer: This is the only muzzle loader that can use smokeless powder like is used in Center Fire rifles.

I have the stainless model with a laminated wood stock. Beautiful gun and it shoots great.
My suggestion is to get on Savages website, and drill down to recomended loads. See whats available. I'm not sure how familiar you are with burn rates, etc, but some powders should not be used, and others are fine.

This is a safe load, as far as pressures go, and its very accurate for my rifle. These guns have been known to be a little picky about different bullet/powder combo's, but this one was my first, and so far my only load. This fall, I'll be trying some of the Barnes 250 grain Bullets, but I can't imagine how anything could beat this, for my gun at least. Other guns may be different.

There is a wildcatters web site out there that have used 300 grain bullets, and are exceeding 30-06 velocities. First of all that has to kick like a mule, (my load will make you wake up), and its more powerfull than a .416 Rigsby Elephant gun. Don't try this.

I'm sure that somebody is going to post a link about a barrell blowing up, blah, blah. Its an old subject that has been widely dissproved. It had over 7000 round of max load through it, and the guy had been recently fired by Savage, so interperate as you may.
Hornady 250 grain SST
42 Grains of IMR-SR-4749 gives me 2311 fps across my chronograph.
Here are a couple of my targets, shot from 100 yds using a pair of coveralls as a rest on the hood of the truck.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_target2.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_target1.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I shoot almost the same load data as Dennis (just different grains). Have had one since the second version came out (5 or 6 years?), no regrets and haven't looked back since.

Edit: I did quite a bit of experimenting with lighter bullets and some powders not "approved" by Savage. Velocities approching 2900fps, but the accuracy wasn't there. It's also hard to determine pressures, since there's no case to look at. The 2200-2500fps seem to be the most accurate velocity range.

Also note: Powder charges are in weighed grains with smokeless, and not volume grains like tradional BP. Have fun!!

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Savage ML10II is an awesome Muzzle loader.

Disclaimer: This is the only muzzle loader that can use smokeless powder like is used in Center Fire rifles.
]

Nope, Bad Bull muzzleloader are smokeless as well. There are also some smokeless Encore barrels.

Anyway, I've wanted one for while now and have talk to Dennis about it a little. I just can't find one in the price range I'm willing to pay. But one day I will have one!!!

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I have one and IMO they are the best muzzleloaders on the mass market bar none. Yes there are other smokeless muzzleloaders but these are the only ones being mass produced.

For those of you holding out for the "right price". I would reconsider. Currently Savage is making these guns on a "demand basis" only. What does this mean? They were officially "taken out of production" a couple of years ago, but when people realized they couldn't get one anymore demand went thru the roof. Used 10ML's were selling for $1000 on gunbroker, it was nuts.

Needless to say Savage didn't realize how many people were interested in this gun, but simply had not purchased one. The real problem is Savage NEVER advertised this gun, so it wasn't a big seller for them, but thats another story. Anyway when people went nuts snataching up the last few they decided to make another run of them. The last two years Savage has accepted orders from gun dealers and then about mid year builds the 10ML to fill that order. Thats all they make every year and no more. Furthermore at Savage's discretion this gun will be discontinued at ANY time. Basically as soon as demand drops for this gun they too will drop it.

Long story short, if you don't have this gun and want one, you better hope Savage makes another run next year and you should seriously consider getting one on order if they do!!

BTW, I shoot AA5744 out of my Savage and a 300 grain Hornady .452 XTP with a Haverster sabot. Can't remember the exact amount of powder. I will post that later.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My best load is a Precision Rifle Dead Center 260 gr. bullet in front of 68.5 grs. of IMR 4198. Hog, deer and a cow buffalo have been taken with it so far.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one and LOVE IT. It was pretty funny when I was putting a target up at 250 yards and the guy next to me said are you shooting that far. I said, I am going to try. The look on his face later after walking back down to look at targets was priceless.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call me chicken, but I've seen too many documented problems to want one. My Remington 700ML with a 209 conversion but shooting small pistol primers in adapters can put 3 in a golf ball at 100 yards. That's good enough for me.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call me chicken, but I've seen too many documented problems to want one. My Remington 700ML with a 209 conversion but shooting small pistol primers in adapters can put 3 in a golf ball at 100 yards. That's good enough for me.

You need to dig a little deeper, those issues (blowing up) are bs accusations. A little research into it will show that.
Anyhow, I've also got a stainless Rem 700 ML got it last year when I was trying to find a savage. I like it eventhough I hate dealing with black powder, its hard for me to justify a the switch now. I am using the 209s though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom