Anyone tried a waterfowl food plot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in a muddy pond bottom? Millet , smartweed? Did it work?

I haven't did that, but I bought a round bale of milo and had farmer with a dew eze bed roll it out as close as he felt comfortable getting to the pond. The waterfowl had to share with cattle, but the cows helped spread it out even more. Another time I disked the dirt edge as the pond was down and broadcast a winter wheat, winter pea mix along the edge. It grew succesfully.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend got some government assistance in rebuilding his pond. Part of the deal was, he had to draw it down in the fall, and plant food for the ducks. They put a vertical pipe that went to a 90, and then went out the back of the pond. The vertical section has ports in it that he can open up to drain the pond to different levels.

He plants the Japanese millet in the mud flat by broadcasting it. Its the same millet that the ODW plants on Kaw lake every fall.

He doesn't duck hunt, just likes to see them on his pond in the winter.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smartweed and millet do well here in OK. Rice is hit or miss and requires planting in the spring. Give golden millet a try. If you don't have a way to control the water, broadcast on the flats when the water is down and pray for a little rain to come soon after.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt a "marshy area" with an elderly gentleman every winter and we plant it specifically for the ducks...

This is a 7 acre slough that dries out in the summer but, has 2-4 feet of water in it every Winter. We plant Japanese Millet, rice and winter wheat and corn, and in fact, we will plant in and around this slough within the next two weeks...

This is the only place I have ever seen that you can shoot a limit of birds at and they still keep coming back, even when you are wading out in the middle of it picking up dead birds. They are drawn to it like a magnet and will stay there until they eat every last piece of grain that they can find....

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Japanese millet works well. I'd suggest sewing a little each week from now on. That way you have some in various stages of growth and development and possibly different water levels depending on how much evaporation occurs or how much rain we get, unless you are able to control the water levels yourself. This is better at ensuring that you get a useable crop coming off when and where you need it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom