Anyone use Lifelock or a similar service?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget those types of services - instead, place a security freeze on your credit file with each of the three credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion). Will cost you $10 (with each bureau) to place the freeze and $10 to lift it when you need to, but it absolutely prevents any type of identity theft on your credit files (i.e.; no one can open an account in your name while the freeze is in effect - not even you). This is the best preventative measure you can take - the credit monitoring services only notify you AFTER the fraud has occurred on your account; a freeze prevents it from ever happening in the first place! This is the best-kept secret in the credit industry, as the three major players want to you subscribe to their monthly monitoring service instead of placing the freeze. Just Google "security freeze" and the name of one of the credit bureaus for instructions on how to place/lift one. Just be sure to keep the PIN they provide when you place it, or you can't lift it when you need to.

DeeJay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I look at it the same as I do the "extended warranties". They are making money or they would not be offering the service. Therefore, the "average" person will pay more for the service than they receive in benefits.
In my opinion, be careful with your information and stay aware of your credit scores and financial information. If anything happens to me, I expect I will know about it fairly soon. The real problem is not that you are responsible for the debts incurred, but the time it takes to get everything cleared up. And I got plenty of time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom