1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Anyone with Kune kune's

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by Timmy59, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

We recently started our piggy endeavor with a trio of Kune kune's.. The 1st male we got out of Stroud didn't measure up quality wise, so we currently have 4 piggies.. I'll turn him into a barrow real soon for grow out.. We made a trek down past Ada and picked up 2 gilts that are top notch.. Pictures in the link, we purchased the pink and green ribbon/bows..
    https://texoma.craigslist.org/grd/d/kune-kune-piglets/6546939621.html
    Since our goal is to be small time pig farmers with our own pork on premises we needed another male that would measure up with the 2 gilts we got.. A trip to Adair landed a male that we felt was quality..
    https://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/d/kune-kune-piglets/6526702912.html
    Kune kune's are a heritage breed from New Zealand and are a small to mid size slow grower.. Their short and often upturned nose means they root less.. They are said to be the only true grazing pig.. We gave thought to American guinea hogs out of Meeker but upon more research decided the Kunes were what we wanted..

2. deerwhacker444

deerwhacker444 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If your goal is to grow your own pork, why chose a slow grower.?

3. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

We've grown out 6-7 pigs in the past and had no complaints with the produce..The last one was picked up in the trailer and it never stepped out, yummy it was.. But this breed has qualities unlike the commercial types.. It grazes pasture, it roots very little, it's a size I'll butcher right here.. It's a lard type so meat and cooking grease.. There's a slew of you tubes should they perk your interest.. They also fetch a decent $$ for piglets

4. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    so whats butchering weight on the hoof? they look like pets more than meat

Annie likes this.
  5. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Haven't been there done that yet on the breed but, here's a well known butcher cutting one up, enjoyable for some..

6. Annie

Annie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Hmmm. Interesting. Wish I had a place to give them a try. I never met a piece of bacon I didn't like.

GlockPride and Timmy59 like this.
  7. Pokinfun

Pokinfun The Most Interesting Man in the World

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I had never heard of this type of hog.

8. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

The old CL links are gone and it's time for an update.. We're very much enjoying our Kune kunes the 2 gilts/girls will be a year old next month and we haven't seen a heat cycle yet (anxiously waiting, hope I haven't over fattened them.. ) The boar will be a year in March.. The gilts are roughly 17-18" tall, 14-15" wide and I'll guess 40 or so inches long and roughly 200 +/- pounds.. Each Love their belly rubs and have been sucking down the pumpkins I scored from the towns seasonal display.. I grew some but not near what I got free from town.. I need to get on doing a peticure as their toes are getting too long..
    http://americankunekunepigsociety.com/
    IMG_20181208_104036.jpg IMG_20181208_104036.jpg IMG_20181208_103949.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Don't know the breed, but they look plenty fat.

GlockPride likes this.
  10. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

I think my brother has a kune kune. I think he has more than one breed, but I think he told me the boar is a kune kune. Some of his pigs are better at tilling the soil than armadillos; when they were young, he had three of them in a pen that was about 30'x30', and they had it turned from grass into 6" deep mud in short order. The piglets are better escape artists than the goats and dogs, and they liked to tear up his front yard when they got out. The pigs do like to forage in the field, though.

Timmy59 likes this.