Ar-15 max range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a S&W M&P 15-X AR and I am wondering what the ballistic max range would be on it? I have heard that a .223 will reach out to about 600 yds acccurately, but I am wondering if I will be able to do that as well with my rifle or if that number is more geared to some kind of bolt-action rifle or something like that?

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot accurately at a 500 yard range with iron sights [and much younger eyes than I now have] with an issue M16, iron sights, and 5.56 ball ammo in the Army. Most guys did. The targets were man-sized. I imagine your rifle would do as well. At that range, though, don't be looking for much in the way of terminal performance.

I am sure that a competent rifleman would have been on target at 600 yards, if all the round has to do is punch a hole in paper. I would not shoot at anything else with a 5.56/.223 at anything like that range.

jej

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
AR-15 RIFLES are used for military rifle matches at 600yds. The rifles I've seen wear 20" barrels, triggers NO lighter than 4lbs. They are shotting 69g. & 77g. matchking bullets, 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist barrels. (1 in 7 twist required to stabilize mil spec tracer ammo, no, tracers not used in matches, but the 1 in 7 is mil spec for this reason) :50cal: Some of those young men are just nothing more than a pleasure to watch, especially during the rapid fire stages, lay 'um on a man size silhouette targets in no time flat, and they are doing it with open sights no optics! Requires lots of ammo, skill and practice, that is why most are service men!

iriediver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
took the squad designated marksman course couple of years ago before deploying...i was hitting the 600 m range after a little practice with no prob. the rifle will do the work if you put in the time.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First The Military Versions of these rifles are the Mk12 Mod 0 & Mod 1, Super SAM's, Super SAM-R, SPR/A. SPR/B ext... now as for match rifles 20" barrels with National Match setups used in the Service Matches(i.e. All Navy, All Service, ext...) as well as civialian service rifle matches. In your question are you asking what the max effective range or max range? Are you engaging paper or for tactical application? Like stated earlier the rigs to do this are 18"-20" Barrels with 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrels, Free Floating Rail systems, lightened triggers and good optics or 1/4moa iron sights(National Match). The 1:7 twist is to stabilize the 77gr Sierra Match King/77gr Nosler OTM w/Cann aka Mk262 Mod0/Mod1 in Artic tempetures(0 to -30), Ive never heard the tracer thing but very well could be. Im sure its possible, but i would never want to send a tracer down a match grade barrel i can only imagine what it would leave in the grooves. IMO 600m/656yd would be a effective tactical range in my book, im sure it could do further if your looking at making a hole in paper, wind at that range will play a big factor because of the relitivaly light weight round. I think the Navy list 600yd/550m as max effective for their Mk12's, but i know they push that. Remember these rifles were not developed as Sniper/Scout rifles they are DMR or designated Marksman Rifles used to fill a gap between the infantry man and the sniper role due to the urban enviroment (street to street, building to building) that we are fighting in today. they make a superb addition to the armory. Im currently building a Mk12 Mod 1 Clone and excited to see just what it is capable of down range.

Strawdog

Glocker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use AR15's for high power across the course back to 600 yds. Look at Camp Perry's service rifle shooters. There's a lot of ifs, ands, or buts though.
You need the right twist usually 1/7, 1/8 to use the heavier bullets at 600.
I usually run sierra 80 grainers at 600, 69gr to 77gr at 200, 300, depending on
conditions. 1/4 to 1/2 minute sights, 20" barrel preferred, forearm floated,
rifle weighted, trigger no less than 4.5 lbs. All these items (and more) are only needed it you shoot matches,
If not, use what you have, find (or reload)a good load, practice, practice, pracitce, and GO HAVE FUN. Lot's of people forget that part.
Enjoy

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First The Military Versions of these rifles are the Mk12 Mod 0 & Mod 1, Super SAM's, Super SAM-R, SPR/A. SPR/B ext... now as for match rifles 20" barrels with National Match setups used in the Service Matches(i.e. All Navy, All Service, ext...) as well as civialian service rifle matches. In your question are you asking what the max effective range or max range? Are you engaging paper or for tactical application? Like stated earlier the rigs to do this are 18"-20" Barrels with 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrels, Free Floating Rail systems, lightened triggers and good optics or 1/4moa iron sights(National Match). The 1:7 twist is to stabilize the 77gr Sierra Match King/77gr Nosler OTM w/Cann aka Mk262 Mod0/Mod1 in Artic tempetures(0 to -30), Ive never heard the tracer thing but very well could be. Im sure its possible, but i would never want to send a tracer down a match grade barrel i can only imagine what it would leave in the grooves. IMO 600m/656yd would be a effective tactical range in my book, im sure it could do further if your looking at making a hole in paper, wind at that range will play a big factor because of the relitivaly light weight round. I think the Navy list 600yd/550m as max effective for their Mk12's, but i know they push that. Remember these rifles were not developed as Sniper/Scout rifles they are DMR or designated Marksman Rifles used to fill a gap between the infantry man and the sniper role due to the urban enviroment (street to street, building to building) that we are fighting in today. they make a superb addition to the armory. Im currently building a Mk12 Mod 1 Clone and excited to see just what it is capable of down range.

Strawdog

The 18" barrel of the Mk12 Mod0/1 is not neccessary for 600to1000yrd accuracy. I have seen plenty 16" service rifles push out that far with the same accuracy as a SPR. The key at that range is not so much the AR variant as it is bullet weight. Thus why the SPRs have the longer barrels to aide in bullet stabilization.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The nuts and bolts reality of what your rifle is capable of, in your hands, will be, if your using iron sights, get a zero on the iron sights. I always start benchrested at 25 yds. Using a center hold on the aiming bull, fire three shot slow fire groups, with rear aperture adjusted all the way down, bottomed out. The front sight adjusted up or down to move the point-of-impact, (POI), to around 2" below point-of-aim, (POA). Do yourself a favor, if you don't already have one , buy a AR-15 front sight adjustment tool. Check Brownells.com or Sinclair International for that and related gear. All the AR's I've zeroed seem to be on at 200yds with that POI at 25yds. With the ammo I've used, factory and match reloads. I switch to six o'clock hold on the bull at 100yds and beyond. 77 GR. weight match bullets performed best at distances beyond 200yds. I competed in highpower rifle matches for 14 yrs in civilian service rifle category. Earned expert rating the fourth year and never progressed further. If your rifle will shoot MOA at 100 and 200 yds, meaning about 1" three shot groups at 100yds and 2" groups at 200 yds with SOME kind of ammo, then you could have some idea of your capability with your set up out to competition distances of 200, 300 and 600yds. I suggest you buy some 12" diameter shoot-n-see or dirty bird splatter targets and staple them up with a larger white or buff colored backer at 200yds. to help you see those .224 sized bullet holes thru your spotting scope. People who have'nt competed or fired at distances beyond 200yds may not realize you can't see bullet holes on targets past 200 yds with most spotting scopes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom