AR or AK ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"This is an AK 47, it is the preferred weapon of the enemy. It makes a very distinctive sound when fired." I have never fired an AK and have only fired AR's. From reading what you guys have said I am thinking that I need an AK as well. So, here is the question, which brand should I get?

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These conversations get harry because of the emotion involved. Firearms are tools.
No one would argue that you should cut a piece of wood with a hammer and I have never seen anyone drive a nail with a saw. Choose the right tool for the job.

Lol this is true. That's why the disclaimer about not wanting to start a pissing match.

After my session with these rifles I was very excited. I called my cousin to tell him my thoughts. He's an AR owner and a fan. He started getting defensive! Lol!
I said Whoah dude! Have you ever shot an AK? His answer....Well no. I said to go shoot one and THEN we'll talk.
Lol!

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"This is an AK 47, it is the preferred weapon of the enemy. It makes a very distinctive sound when fired." I have never fired an AK and have only fired AR's. From reading what you guys have said I am thinking that I need an AK as well. So, here is the question, which brand should I get?

Man I love that movie! So many great lines!

I don't think you can go wrong with most AKs but from what I can tell, the Russian variants are most sought after.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am the same way. I started with AR and then got an AK and was like WOW the first time I shot it. Much easier to use and be accurate with out of the box. Easier to tear down and clean but less need to. Targets that I was putting holes in with the AR I was annihilating with the AK's bigger round.

Once I got an AK I have not bought an AR.

You are right on! With the AR I could barely tell when the target was hit and the round would enter the back stop with little drama. With the AK it was obvious when the target was hit and dirt would explode off the backstop, water bottles would explode and flip, etc it all just added to the fun factor. :)
It was one of the most fun days at the range that I've ever had. My wife said I had a perma-grin.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are right on! With the AR I could barely tell when the target was hit and the round would enter the back stop with little drama. With the AK it was obvious when the target was hit and dirt would explode off the backstop, water bottles would explode and flip, etc it all just added to the fun factor. :)
It was one of the most fun days at the range that I've ever had. My wife said I had a perma-grin.

It definitely adds to the fun factor. However, I would caution you that the larger round doesn't necessarily translate into better terminal performance on a live target. M193 and M855 rely on fragmentation of the round as the primary wounding mechanism. 7.62x39 M43 is unimpressive in terms of terminal performance. There is a reason the Soviets switched to the 5.45x39 round. :)

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It definitely adds to the fun factor. However, I would caution you that the larger round doesn't necessarily translate into better terminal performance on a live target. M193 and M855 rely on fragmentation of the round as the primary wounding mechanism. 7.62x39 M43 is unimpressive in terms of terminal performance. There is a reason the Soviets switched to the 5.45x39 round. :)

Yugo M67 is pretty brutal. The 8M3 124g HP loaded in the Wolf Military Classic line is highly regarded too!

http://www.gunslot.com/forum/russian-rifle-caliber-wounding-effects

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned 3 ak47s never owned an ar but really want one in 6.5 Grendel. I absoutly love my newest ak, its a two rivers arms fs tabuk. I think ak will always be my favorite. I've shot many ars, but I know I can always rely on my trusty ak.

Latest posts

Top Bottom