This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still new to the AR game, just bought an assembled Palmetto State Armory AR 15 Pistol MOE Lower for sale for $159.99 with free shipping. This will be my first AR 15 Pistol build so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing some research and want to stay around the 10.5 to 11.5 length range (read anything shorter can have reliability issues).

Picking it up from B.A.N.G shout out to Patrick in a couple days, hopefully with fast shipping from Palmetto State Armory.

Now the question which upper to go with...

BCM 11.5 Carbine Cold Hammer Forged Upper starting at $664.95 (buy once, cry once) how it is pricey because I plan on adding a BCM charging handle, bolt carrier, and BCM Comp Mod Muzzle Device.

MidState Firearms 10.5 upper w Midwest Industries Rail starting at $379.99
thinking for BCG Fail Zero BCG with a Raptor Ambi Charging handle.

Also anyone ever used Thordsen Buffer Cheek Rest, I am looking to purchase one for my build however I don't know which one to purchase and anyone knows who can help install it on my lower, any help would be greatly appreciated.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are your plans with this said pistol?

If it's a fun range toy and maybe home defense/truck gun then I'd go less expensive and put extra money towards can or ammo.

If this will be your only AR and you will shoot a hundred rounds every single week, I'd spend some more coin.

Just my thoughts. Even the 'less expensive' AR parts are generally really good these days. Not hearing of a lot of junk being turned out.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are your plans with this said pistol?

If it's a fun range toy and maybe home defense/truck gun then I'd go less expensive and put extra money towards can or ammo.

If this will be your only AR and you will shoot a hundred rounds every single week, I'd spend some more coin.

Just my thoughts. Even the 'less expensive' AR parts are generally really good these days. Not hearing of a lot of junk being turned out.

I completely, BCM is just too pricey for my blood and I have been looking up assembled ar 15 pistol uppers in the 10.5/11.5 range.

I would rather spend money on ammo and accessories, this will be more for CQB and weekend fun. There's just so many options...its like a kid in a candy store!

I will be assembling an 18 inch SPR rifle in the future in not will be spending a good chunk of money on a name brand rifle just as a DD or Noveske.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that price with bcg and charge handle? If so thats incredibly cheap. I bought a complete upper in 300BO from SAA for $285+tax at the Tulsa gun show in April. Its pretty good, you light look at them.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that price with bcg and charge handle? If so thats incredibly cheap. I bought a complete upper in 300BO from SAA for $285+tax at the Tulsa gun show in April. Its pretty good, you light look at them.

Unfortunately, I think its just the upper no bcg or charging handle. It's ok though I am looking at a Fail Zero Nikel BCG and a ambi-charging handle.