AR Pistol question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you want it stamped pistol for aesthetics it doesn't need it. All you need is stripped lower tranferred to you on a 4473 as a pistol, or as an other stripped receiver, the other allows you to build it as a pistol or rifle, just remember that once you build it as a pistol you can't make it into a rifle.

Sooner guns and sportsworld both have stripped lowers.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you want it stamped pistol for aesthetics it doesn't need it. All you need is stripped lower tranferred to you on a 4473 as a pistol, or as an other stripped receiver, the other allows you to build it as a pistol or rifle, just remember that once you build it as a pistol you can't make it into a rifle.

Sooner guns and sportsworld both have stripped lowers.

That is not correct. You can make a pistol into a rifle. You cannot make a rifle into a pistol without filing a Form 1 with ATF and paying the $200 tax. Here is an ATF letter on the subject from a guy wanting to turn an Uzi pitol into a rifle (which they state is fine) and then wanting to know if he can convert it back and forth between rifle and pistol like folks do with the Thompson Center Contender. ATF said once it is a rifle it connot be converted to a pistol without the Form 1. They also state that the convertability of the TC Contender only applies to the TC Contender (TC took the ATF to the Supreme Court on this and won their arguement).

ai462.photobucket.com_albums_qq344_quiet_wolf_BATFEletterpistolrifle1.jpg

ai462.photobucket.com_albums_qq344_quiet_wolf_BATFEletterpistolrifle2.jpg

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually I would rather not it have the pistol stamp. I have an AR carbine and want to build a pistol as winter project. I am more of a handgun guy and new to AR's so please be patient with me. If the pistol stamp isn't necessary, why do all the manufacturers sell pistol receivers? My ultimate plan is, depending on how my first build turns out, is to do the paperwork and make it a SBR.

By the way, in reality is building an AR really more of a project of assembling parts?

Appreciate your comments.

And yeah, I have spent some time on AR15.com, its just that I would rather ask dumb questions here.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually I would rather not it have the pistol stamp. I have an AR carbine and want to build a pistol as winter project. I am more of a handgun guy and new to AR's so please be patient with me. If the pistol stamp isn't necessary, why do all the manufacturers sell pistol receivers? My ultimate plan is, depending on how my first build turns out, is to do the paperwork and make it a SBR.

By the way, in reality is building an AR really more of a project of assembling parts?

Appreciate your comments.

And yeah, I have spent some time on AR15.com, its just that I would rather ask dumb questions here.

I think very few manufacturers actually have stamped pistol recievers. Most brands only vary in cal stamp (556/multi/etc). As stated before, as long as the reciever has never had a stock, you can make it into a pistol. Likewise, if you put a stock on the pistol, or a vertical handgrip it is illegal until registered as an SBR. (someone correct me if I am wrong).

As far as "building" an AR, yes its mostly just assembly. However, I would suggest having someone build the upper assembly (barrel, gas tube, reciever, stuff like the BCG you can do) for you if you have limited experience in ARs. The lower should be pretty easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom