AR red dot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorting through options in the $500ish range. Aimpoint Pro seems to still be in the mix. Are there 2-3 others to check out? Do most of them allow or offer a 3x magnifier option?

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my search narrowed down to Aimpoint Pro, Aimpoint ACO, or the Leupold Freedom RDS. I didn't want to exceed $500 retail, because I knew if I did I'd end up with an Elcan or Acog. I do Vortex on everything else around here, but I just wasn't feeling a Strikefire, Sparc, or any of their other carbine options this go around.
I have an older Sigtac CP1 fixed 3x that doesn't work with my pinned front sight, so it's just sitting here until I figure something out.
The Aimpoint Pro is something very highly rated by everyone that owns one, and they usually own more than one.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't want to exceed $500 retail, because I knew if I did I'd end up with an Elcan or Acog.
That's a $1700 jump to an Elcan. There are still Eotech EXPS 3s, Aimpoint COMPMs, Micro T2s, and Trijicon MROs about a $1000 or more south of an Elcan. Now a good ACOG like a TA01 or TA31, then I could see creeping up to them. But an Eotech is still south by $300-$400 ish.

Last edited:

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a $1700 jump to an Elcan. There are still Eotech EXPS 3s, Aimpoint COMPMs, Micro T2s, and Trijicon MROs about a $1000 or more south of an Elcan. Now a good ACOG like a TA01 or TA31, then I could see creeping up to them. But an Eotech is still south by $300-$400 ish.
Well I was looking at the decade-old $1100 Elcans haha. And the Acog I specifically priced was a fair price but it was rather old

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the aimpoint duty rds? Seems like a decent deal at about the same price as the pro.

Looking at a few eotechs too. They have a few magnifier packages that look pretty good.

Was a little surprised by cost of magnifiers. Can drop a fair amount of money there too I guess.

Mr E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to hijack this thread, but on the same subject, what would be a good, budget starter red dot setup? Money's tight lately but the interest in the hobby doesn't die!

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score