AR red dot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I hate to hijack this thread, but on the same subject, what would be a good, budget starter red dot setup? Money's tight lately but the interest in the hobby doesn't die!
The Sig Romeo 5 is very popular and can be found for around $110 online.

Since I have astigmatism, I prefer prism optics. For something in the middle, price wise, I will soon be getting a Primary Arms SLx 1X MicroPrism with the ACSS reticle.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...th-red-illuminated-acss-cyclops-gen-2-reticle
I have had a chance to use one of these on a friend's PCC and I really like everything about them.

They also make a 3X version or there is a 3X magnifier if one chooses to go with that set up.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aimpoint.
I have 2 Aimpoint ML2 red dots that I have had for years and both are still excellent. Tough as heck and have never lost zero.
One I had on my duty carbine for years.

Michael Armstrong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Since I have astigmatism, I prefer prism optics. For something in the middle, price wise, I will soon be getting a Primary Arms SLx 1X MicroPrism with the ACSS reticle.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...th-red-illuminated-acss-cyclops-gen-2-reticle
I have had a chance to use one of these on a friend's PCC and I really like everything about them.

They also make a 3X version or there is a 3X magnifier if one chooses to go with that set up.
X2 on Romeo 5. Make sure you buy it from someone affiliated with them. Counterfeits are out there.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: thought i posted this this morning but guess i didnt finish it.

Most of what I read on Aimpoint Duty RDS was positive so I ordered one from Opticsplanet. It's a little smaller than the pro and has the crazy battery life. Hopefully I'll like it.
Good choice👍🏻

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to hijack this thread, but on the same subject, what would be a good, budget starter red dot setup? Money's tight lately but the interest in the hobby doesn't die!
A crimson trace 1500. Mounted one on my ruger max-9. 14 months on the first battery. $125.
16626593117174178347537280547617.jpg

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Vortex Crossires and Strikefires on a few rifles. Added a 3X magnifier with flip mount from Bushnell for a bit more range. FIL has a Romeo 5 on his AR9. All good optics for the price.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before all this mess and political climate, when H&H was selling the Sig Tread 5.56 with a free Sig Romeo Tread optic (was it $800 or $899?), I did some research on the Romeo Tread and I remember seeing a one year warranty from manufacture date, not purchase date. Is that true for all Romeo's or just the Tread? I'd hate to get a Romeo that had been on the shelf for 12 months if they don't put the date of manufacture on the outside of the box

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Before all this mess and political climate, when H&H was selling the Sig Tread 5.56 with a free Sig Romeo Tread optic (was it $800 or $899?), I did some research on the Romeo Tread and I remember seeing a one year warranty from manufacture date, not purchase date. Is that true for all Romeo's or just the Tread? I'd hate to get a Romeo that had been on the shelf for 12 months if they don't put the date of manufacture on the outside of the box
I have no idea. I have never owned a Sig optic but maybe someone here that has one can answer that for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom