AR15 hasn't been cleaned for 7,000 rounds! Can it make it to 10k rounds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when ammo was plentiful, my break in method for new AR builds was 1000 rounds without any cleaning. Just add lube on occasion.

The carbon "grit" that built up would basically polish all moving parts and the end result would feel like the BCG and bolt were sliding on ball bearings.

10k rounds really doesn't seem excessive as long as everything is kept lubed.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Back when ammo was plentiful, my break in method for new AR builds was 1000 rounds without any cleaning. Just add lube on occasion.

The carbon "grit" that built up would basically polish all moving parts and the end result would feel like the BCG and bolt were sliding on ball bearings.

10k rounds really doesn't seem excessive as long as everything is kept lubed.

maybe that’s why I’ve never liked AR’s. Never shot one enough to break it in, they always just felt stiff to me.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
maybe that’s why I’ve never liked AR’s. Never shot one enough to break it in, they always just felt stiff to me.

Carbine ARs can be especially stiff feeling, but a properly broken in 20" one with a full length gas system is as smooth as a Cadillac.

Latest posts

Top Bottom