Ar7 survivsl rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're a good concept. I have one of the pistol versions which is the same general receiver as the rifle. I bet I haven't fired mine in close to 20 years. There are a few places that make some cool aftermarket accessories for the AR7 but I doubt I would spend the extra $ on such a simple rifle.

If the AR7 had an advantage over the other take-down .22 rifles, it would be that the action stores in the buttstock which is somewhat waterproof and will float.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking at them also. My bff really wants one. From what I read there have been problem after problem with them over the years but the newest Henry redesign works far better than all earlier models as long as you feed it good high velocity rounds which is pretty much every 22 these days. I'll be buying one in the future.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are not bad little guns for what they are made to do. I prefer the Ruger takedown because I know it is always accurate even after several shots and takedowns.

But as for what henry offers I really like my H001 lever action 22 it takes the cake. Well made, reasonably light and deadly accurate.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one and I think it would be a good rifle for short distances. Even with a scope I couldn't get mine on target at 100 yards. It's not a tack driver, but I think I could hit a critter at 25 yards if I had to. I was surprised that the barrel was plastic or polymer with a metal rifled barrel insert.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an early Armalite that I really like as a fun little backpack rifle. It's surprisingly accurate for a screw-on barrel. Light to carry around and easy to plink with. I could easily take small game with it if I needed to for survival.

Downsides: tough to disassemble and clean, small magazine, awkward stock. Many years ago I saw someone who had a M1 carbine-like wood stock that they'd put the AR-7 action into and that looked like it was much more comfortable to shoot.

Realize also that there have been about 5 makers of the AR-7 over the years, with widely varying levels of quality. For example, my Armalite does not have the "plastic" barrel with metal insert that is mentioned above -- it's all metal. Make sure you know which is which before you decide to buy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom