Anyone work midnights or long shifts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work 3pm to Midnight. I'd get home around 1:30am or 2:00am after stopping for a quick easy breakfast the all-night diner. Sometimes I'd stop and fish for an hour or two before I got home.

I'd get to bed around 4AM and set my alarm for 12:30PM and get ready to go to work again.

Dickhead family and friends would call me late morning or around Noon-ish and say Hey are you going to sleep all day? No, dickhead, this is my night.

I fixed that bullpuckey by calling them back at 3AM, wake them up and ask HEY are you going to sleep all night?

I just turn off the ringer on my phone.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a convenience store clerk the standard week was 52.5 hours. Two day shifts, two evening shifts and a night shift every week plus other shifts filling in for absentees.
I remember one summer wher I got home at about 6:30 PM. When I woke up the light from outside made me think it was sunrise and I was late to work. I jumped out of bed, showered, and when I came out it was dark outside. I had only been asleep a couple of hours and confused sunset with sunrise. After working a triple shift one time, after closing the store at 2 AM I sat down on a milk crate just to rest my feet for a few mins. The next thing I knew was the manager screaming - she had come in at 6 AM and thought I was sitting there dead.

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prefer 2nd shift fit my life style
Was a supervisor and people were bitching about shift so I said can please them all you all will rotate shifts 1,2 and 3rd no one had a leg to stand on after that

Personally not a day person but have worked it for the last 10 years seems I’m more tired now
We had that in the Air Force in my shop. Day shift did work but also had to deal with ********, V.I.P.s coming in, surprise inspections, emergency details. Night shift banged out the work. Well everyone started bitching about their shift and our shop chief rotated us out every 3 months. That when I picked up my moderate NyQuil addiction. By the time you got used to your shift it was time to rotate.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had that in the Air Force in my shop. Day shift did work but also had to deal with ********, V.I.P.s coming in, surprise inspections, emergency details. Night shift banged out the work. Well everyone started bitching about their shift and our shop chief rotated us out every 3 months. That when I picked up my moderate NyQuil addiction. By the time you got used to your shift it was time to rotate.

I'm lucky. My boss leaves us alone and doesn't rotate us. He asked me the other day if I wanted to switch to day shift. He said after almost 20 years here, you deserve to, if you wanna. I said thanks, but no thanks. I kinda like the zombie shift.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Work is such an ugly word. I just kinda hang out.

You know why it's called 'work' don't ya?

All the other four letter words were taken. :rollingla
I worked 31 years and loved my job until I climbed the ladder into management in state government.
It became intolerable and I burned out in 10 years or less. F state government.
Much happier now.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked night for so many years I still have trouble sleeping at night. I had to cover the bedroom windows with styrofoam panels to block the light and cut down noise when I worked nights and still keep it up for the nights I can not sleep. On the bright side, I still have good night vision even a little moonlight is enough for me to see by.

Oh and I loved tacos for breakfast, or pizza, burgers, etc. I still think a good burger with a fried egg on it is the breakfast of the Gods. So far none have told me that I am wrong. :P

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were times I’d work a 24 hour shift at my full time job and go straight to my second job which was supposed to be an 8 hour shift. It happened many times right at shift change, the chief would say “your relief called in, can you work a double” and I’d go right back out again. Then, here comes midnight and for whatever reason that person couldn’t make it and I’d finally get home after 48 hours straight at two different jobs.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me second shift (get off at midnight) was doable.
Kind of nice, you had the morning off to run appointments, etc.
Third shift? No way that was gonna work for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom