Auburn, AL: cop fired for blowing the whistle on ticket, arrest quotas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not surprised in the least by this. If there's an incentive (money), folks are going to take advantage of it. Police are human beings, tempted by the same things that tempt everyone else.
Problem is, not everyone else has a state-authorized license to use force.

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand it this is a quota system without being a quota system as in OKC. As anyone with an IQ greater than a certified idiot understands it is a quota while the PD says it is simply a mechanism to guage if the individual LEO is working or simply sitting at the house with his unit hidden in the garage and if so, to what degree. A not unheard of evolution.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh. Whether official or unofficial, quotas pretty much always have happened and always will. It Is common knowledge that this stuff is primarily about revenue generation.

These numbers don't seem to ridiculously high... 100 per month is 25 per week, which is 5 per day if you work a normal 5 day week. I know I break the law multiple times every time I get behind a wheel, and I see countless other people do it too. If you give me a radar gun and some flashing lights, I could absolutely pull over 5 folks per day for some kind of traffic offense. I don't know what a normal work day is like for a traffic beat cop, but it seems 5 stops in a day would not be anything out of the ordinary. Probably even on the low side.

The article says the requirement is 100 "contacts." It doesn't require at a ticket be given for all of them, or for any specified amount of them. I would think even consensual encounters would be considered a "contact." You could potentially work one of those in every time you fill up gas or stop to eat, by chatting folks up.

The quotas that are the worst in my mind, and most blantantly give lie to the "public safety" rationale, are the ones that require a certain number of tickets be written, or a certain dollar amount ticketed per month. This particular situation wouldn't appear to even fall into that category.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand it this is a quota system without being a quota system as in OKC. As anyone with an IQ greater than a certified idiot understands it is a quota while the PD says it is simply a mechanism to guage if the individual LEO is working or simply sitting at the house with his unit hidden in the garage and if so, to what degree. A not unheard of evolution.

Really?

Can you put a number on that iq for a certified idiot....and then Read what you posted.

Friends , Americans , Countrmen...Its All about The Benjamins....Oh my iq is 127, Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom