Audio: Rush Limbaugh parodies Clint Eastwood ad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know most people on this board are adamantly against the auto bailout, and because of it many have sworn to only buy Ford. But this is my question - if Ford had also taken the bailout money, and all of the Big 3 had the stigma of taking govt assistance, what then? In that case do we only buy from foreign manufacturers? Personally, I don't want to see GM and Dodge fold up and surrender to some of the very companies that fought against us in WWII. It's bad enough so many of our components come from overseas.

Like many, the question I have wrestled with is; Do I buy an American truck assembled in Mexico or Canada or a Nissan or Toyota made in Kentucky or Texas? I gotta say, I keep siding with the American owned company. We would not be bailing out Kia or BMW or Lexus, so I want to keep OUR companies going and successfull. I hate to see our country get to the point where we literally can't produce anything except bad TV.

Sure, we have one company left that didn't take govt money, but what if they had? Would there be equally as much disgust? Should America just stop building cars if that's what the free market indicates? "Drove my Fiat to the levy but the levy was dry?" "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop driving that Hot Rod...ES350?"

Dale didn't drive a Suburu and Bandit didn't drive blocker in a whiny Civic with an superfluous spoiler. Should 2 of our 3 have waved the white flag? And then if Ford gets in trouble, they should close too? Is that what we want for America?

If I'm missing something key, fill me in. I don't claim to be politically astute. I've watched a lot more NASCAR than I have 60 Minutes.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know most people on this board are adamantly against the auto bailout, and because of it many have sworn to only buy Ford. But this is my question - if Ford had also taken the bailout money, and all of the Big 3 had the stigma of taking govt assistance, what then? In that case do we only buy from foreign manufacturers? Personally, I don't want to see GM and Dodge fold up and surrender to some of the very companies that fought against us in WWII. It's bad enough so many of our components come from overseas.

Like many, the question I have wrestled with is; Do I buy an American truck assembled in Mexico or Canada or a Nissan or Toyota made in Kentucky or Texas? I gotta say, I keep siding with the American owned company. We would not be bailing out Kia or BMW or Lexus, so I want to keep OUR companies going and successfull. I hate to see our country get to the point where we literally can't produce anything except bad TV.

Sure, we have one company left that didn't take govt money, but what if they had? Would there be equally as much disgust? Should America just stop building cars if that's what the free market indicates? "Drove my Fiat to the levy but the levy was dry?" "Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop driving that Hot Rod...ES350?"

Dale didn't drive a Suburu and Bandit didn't drive blocker in a whiny Civic with an superfluous spoiler. Should 2 of our 3 have waved the white flag? And then if Ford gets in trouble, they should close too? Is that what we want for America?

If I'm missing something key, fill me in. I don't claim to be politically astute. I've watched a lot more NASCAR than I have 60 Minutes.

Last time I checked we're not at war with Japan, Kentucky or Texas.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't get it.

I'm then not sure that we can help you.

I don't know why everyone it pickin' on ol' Walt Kowalski. If you were paid to do that commercial, you'd do it too. Doesn't matter if you are Clint Eastwood, or if Chrysler is paying you to do it. I know I would.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also somewhat relevant (and shared no reason other than it's interesting trivia):

Gran Torino was initially about and set in the Hmong communities in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. However, the setting was moved to greater Detroit as Michigan gave preferential tax treatment to film companies if they filmed there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom