Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently bought a Baofeng UV-5R on amazon, only $22 and it actually appears to be a well made device. I was able to tune in to NOAA weather radio (No big deal, 162.400 megahertz) but find it lacking with many of the frequencies found in radioreference.com. Only periodically get a set of digital beeps on the stations using the "Scan" channels feature. Also does receive FM, but who really cares. Are all police and fire digital or encrypted now? Are there other HAM radio users here? Are their any frequencies worth tuning in to? Did I just blow $22? Should I get a HAM License?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some of the active stations.

20240126_184025.jpg

W5IAS has a net Tues at 8pm.
CH. 21. W5MEL has a net Thursday night at 730.
During the day at different times W5GDL has people monitoring...

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ham radio operator here for over 35 years. If you download a free app for your phone named "repeater books" it will give you the local to you ham radio repeaters in your area to listen to. You just need to program in the frequency listed for 2M and 70CM. For now there is no need to put in the offset or PL tone in case you have an accidental transmission which you want to avoid if you do not have a license. We take our hobby seriously, but welcome any newcomers who want to join us. Most ham clubs have a web site you can find that will have weekly nets and usually a monthly meeting listed that you would be welcome to visit.

For studying and learning more about ham radio which is a great family hobby, there are lots of sites. ARRL is our "NRA" or "OK2A" that keeps our frequencies free and coordinated and a good place to start. There are so many directions you can go with ham radio it can get overloading with the digital modes and a lot of specialty modes and upgrading to talk around the world. I suggest you just start with the Technician license and VHF and UHF analog to start out with and go from there.

I would start out by reading the Part 97 Rules, then use a program like https://hamstudy.org for flash cards of the over 300 question pool that you will be given 35 questions out of that you have to make a 70% on to pass. Your local ham clubs can help you find a testing session when you feel like you are ready.. About an hour a day 2-3 weeks is about normal for studying depending on your background. Most of it is common sense stuff, rules to follow,a few frequency ranges to memorize, etc.

Like getting a CC license, then you have a Technician license to really learn the hobby.

Anyone is welcome to PM me if you have Ham Radio questions.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably went about buying one the worst way, bought it than learn, but have found I am more motivated to learn more!
Most of us started out that way, listening to scanners or real radios. For me I was interested in listening to the weather watches and storm chasers in the Tulsa area on UHF. One day the thought hit me, hell, I can do that. That was my start and motivation to get my Technician license. Then I ran across an older inexpensive HF radio, strung up an antenna and started listening to the world. Hardest time in my radio life, listening to HF at 2AM to a special station set up at the North Pole calling CQ (Any body) reply back. His signal was Chrystal clear and for 10 minutes only one sstation answered him from Texas. Yep microphone laying there by the radio. It was an older radio that would not listen without the mic plugged in, but I did not have the license class to talk on that frequency. Gerrrrr. I upgraded shortly after that.

Just be careful of the PTT key on the side and you will be ok.

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another question, any other resources than radioreference.com and youtube? I have watched many of these videos from https://www.youtube.com/@TheNotaRubicon - have been very helpful!

Probably went about buying one the worst way, bought it than learn, but have found I am more motivated to learn more!
I like the notarubicon channel, he's a hoot.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Riverbend and Friends Net on Tuesdays at 7:00 PM, on 146.550 MHz. Note, this is not on a repeater so you will need to be outside to hear it (or an outdoor antenna) and in the OKC area.

Edit: I would look into at least getting your Technician license, so you can use your Baofeng to its fullest. There are several clubs around the metro that offer testing, what side of the city are you on?

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I will be getting a Ham license. I also think I may get a scanner. I have some GMRS radios, bought them after a cellular outage a few years back. As for the Baofeng I am surprised with all the settings they do not have one to turn off the PTT button!

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Riverbend and Friends Net on Tuesdays at 7:00 PM, on 146.550 MHz. Note, this is not on a repeater so you will need to be outside to hear it (or an outdoor antenna) and in the OKC area.

Edit: I would look into at least getting your Technician license, so you can use your Baofeng to its fullest. There are several clubs around the metro that offer testing, what side of the city are you on?
I'm in the NW quadrant. As for starters think I will get the GMRS license and then Technicians. Looks like their are more people out there than I thought who are using ham radios and licensed.