Barnes TTSX .308 Results were ehh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of my testing is now limited to the cfe223 since I haven't been able to find any IMR4064 or Varget. I do have a smidgen of Varget left and will probably try and load up 5 more of the ttsx and see how they do with that powder. My guess is they will hopefully do a little better, but will be a bit slower, which is fine with me. I'd just like to get these bullets to 1" or less before I load any for hunting.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not too bad. Some potential there.
I must ask are you annealing those Federal cases?
Are you absolutely even seating forces?

Something else that messed up some groups would be a case mouth chamfer.
If it is not too great I can feel a slight stiff seating pressure as the bullet just enters the case.
Then it smooths out and seats.

If you feel that try and eliminate it with brass prep.

PM sent

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple pounds of CFE223 and I must say I have consistently found that it is the least accurate powder out of my .223 options. Due to that I only use it for AR plinking ammo. I use other powders for the .223 bolt gun

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not too bad. Some potential there.
I must ask are you annealing those Federal cases?
Are you absolutely even seating forces?

Something else that messed up some groups would be a case mouth chamfer.
If it is not too great I can feel a slight stiff seating pressure as the bullet just enters the case.
Then it smooths out and seats.

If you feel that try and eliminate it with brass prep.

PM sent
I annealed the brass, but I didn't chamfer the case mouth. Will do that to the next loads for sure.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I didn’t have very good luck with CFE223 in my .308 using Hornady and Sierra bullets. 168’s and 175’s.

After that fail I was going to use Varget but was told to get IMR4064 instead and I’m glad I did.

I even loaded up some Sierra 150’s with some Accurate 2015. I really need to go test those someday… plan was to use it deer hunting but I don’t think I’ll make it out this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom