Barnes TTSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a box of these bullets sent to me for testing and evaluation in my 30-06. Going to start working up a load this weekend, and thought I might run it by you guys to see if anybody has loaded this bullet in the past and any thing I need to look out for.
Man, the TTSX's are long sleek looking bullets!
My go-to load for the last 20 years has been IMR 4350, and a Sierra 168gr BTHP game king.
With the TTSX, Thought I would use some of the new Reloader 17. Picked up three pounds of it the other day for the .243WSSM. It got good reviews in one of the reloading mags for having the same burn rate as the 4350, but will meter much better.
My main issue will be bullet seating depth?

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I havent loaded the TTSX, but Ive been loading the TSX in 223 and 22-250 for several years now. I can vouch for all the hype because they are amazing. Id be interested in your results. Ive been loading 150gr Failsafe in my 30-06 with imr4350 for many years and eventually I will run out of supply.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years since starting reloading, I've put the Sierras in contact with the lands. The theory that this may lead to dangerous high pressures has been pretty much laid to rest.
Bench rest shooter do this.
Like the post above, Barnes, recommends .030 above
I've used the barnes in my MZ for many years, and have seveal bullets recovered over the years that are impressive.

What powders are your guys using?

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have noticed on Berger's web site that they also recommend "jamming the lands" on some of their bullet applications. Been working on a new load with their VLDH's for the .243, and so far they are wicked!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I looked at the Sierra bullet that I've used for many years, and compared it to the barnes. The Barns is more than 1/4" longer. I'm off tomorrow, so will load up a few and head to the range to check them out, after a morning deer hunt.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've loaded a truck load of Barnes,X, TSX, TTSX, MRX ect. over the years and have found that seating them .050 or more off the lands works wonders for them!!!!

YankeeMN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife took a good sized doe with a TSX in her 243AI this year. Slug didn't exit and I recovered it. Pretty well doubled in size and had 99% weight retention. I was extremell impressed.

I've got 9lbs of RL17 sitting right now, and will be working up some loads here this winter in her AI. Looking forward to playing with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok here is my range report. Used the same data advertized for IMR 4350, when loading the Reloader 17, and the 168 grain.
Chrono'd the loads.
80's Sierra Manual says Max load in 168 grain should be 2800fps.
Reloader 17 info say that same load is higher velocity. I got an average of 100 fps increase using the Reloader 17.
Loaded up a half dozen rounds with less than Max loads.

Loaded up 4 at max load. Never got any sign of over pessure, and the 6 round test was from 2925 to 2949fps.
Pretty consistant.
Accuracy was good at max load.
I'm not a good paper shooter, so I'll just say its gonna be great for deer.
Those that are incredibly steady, would see better results than me.
1 1/8"group was consistant for me at 100 yds.

Btw, My Browning was bought in the years of lawyer triggers, so if they can be adjusted, or tuned, I'd appreciate the info.
Factory chit sux.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok here is my range report. Used the same data advertized for IMR 4350, when loading the Reloader 17, and the 168 grain.
Chrono'd the loads.
80's Sierra Manual says Max load in 168 grain should be 2800fps.
Reloader 17 info say that same load is higher velocity. I got an average of 100 fps increase using the Reloader 17.
Loaded up a half dozen rounds with less than Max loads.

Loaded up 4 at max load. Never got any sign of over pessure, and the 6 round test was from 2925 to 2949fps.
Pretty consistant.
Accuracy was good at max load.
I'm not a good paper shooter, so I'll just say its gonna be great for deer.
Those that are incredibly steady, would see better results than me.
1 1/8"group was consistant for me at 100 yds.

Btw, My Browning was bought in the years of lawyer triggers, so if they can be adjusted, or tuned, I'd appreciate the info.Factory chit sux.

PM INbound

Latest posts

Top Bottom