Barrel Touch Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got an AR barrel back from having a flash hider permanently attached and they left several tool marks on the barrel that marred its finish. They're just nicks in the parkerization, I'm not real pleased about it, but I reckon that's probably just part of it. Anyhow, I'm a little OC when it comes to that sort of thing and I really want to touch up those spots with something, can in get any recommendations of what to use?

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you tried cold blue? Brownells Oxpho is pretty good. Won't be perfect but might be good enough. At least it would be less than $10 and won't make it any worse.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you tried cold blue? Brownells Oxpho is pretty good. Won't be perfect but might be good enough. At least it would be less than $10 and won't make it any worse.

I think I'm gonna give this a try. All the marks are small enough that this should make them unnoticeable.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After the touch up. Remember to oil the parkerizing a lot. Parkerizing is like a sponge and for it to work properly it should be oiled a lot so the oil becomes trapped in the pores of the finish.

wegnerracing

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use this ceramic engine paint from O'Reilly's for minor touch ups, etc. Once it dries, wipe over it with froglube, Rem oil or something like that and it is looks really good. It is not completely solvent resistant to lacquer thinner or bore solvents; so be careful with those. It's worth a try, if it doesn't look good wipe it off with solvent and try something else.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0487_-1_-1&pt=N0487&ppt=C0171

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This. I've stripped and cold blued 5 or 6 rifles using the Perma Blue kits, works like a charm.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use this ceramic engine paint from O'Reilly's for minor touch ups, etc. Once it dries, wipe over it with froglube, Rem oil or something like that and it is looks really good. It is not completely solvent resistant to lacquer thinner or bore solvents; so be careful with those. It's worth a try, if it doesn't look good wipe it off with solvent and try something else.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0487_-1_-1&pt=N0487&ppt=C0171

This is what I have done with excellent results. If you feather the spray, you will never see the marks and it will blend.

I don't think the Oxphoblue would match the parkerizing very well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom