Batman Premiere: Mass Shooting-Aurora, CO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Listen, I've never been in a combat situation. And this is not a typical CCW situation it was more like a combat situation. But I have several family members who have been. And I have seen what it does to those people. So while I do not know what combat is like I do know that it is something that I would never take lightly enough to just spout out comments like "this is what I would have done in this situation....." because the truth is that I don't know because I've never been there before. When discussing situations like this I think its best to leave the hypotheticals to people who have lived the real thing rather than internet commandos arguing over what they would do. Because honestly, I think it's rather insulting to the people who really know what the situation is like when people like me sit around and talk about what I would have done in that situation. That is all.

Are you forgetting that there are a lot of actual combat vets on this board? Are you forgetting that there are a lot of people who have trained far beyond the average SDA permit holder? People who have trained specifically with combat vets and seasoned LEO's?

You do not "rise to the occasion", you default to your level of training. it's perfectly fine to view this matter from your personal level of experience and training. Don't presume to imprint your level of experience and training on the rest of us. It would be an exceedingly poor presumption. :(

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just listened to some of the Aurora PD radio channel tapes and this situation did give insight to a frequent gunny meme about incidents happening in seconds and police being minutes away. The first officer in was "on scene" less than one minute from the dispatch on shots fired in the theater. His back-up arrived about 15 seconds after the initial officer. Fire/Rescue Dispatch was about 90 seconds behind PD. Of course, this timeline does not account for the difference between the actual attack time, the 911 call/information taking, and the ultimate dispatch on police radio.

The initial response was well-done but the attacker's use of CS/OC/whatever did exactly what it was designed to do on slowing access into the actual screening theater auditorium. There were multiple officer calls for masks so they could enter the theater.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A witness who spoke this morning on NBC via phone said that someone sitting next to him before the show began had gone to that emergency exit and opened it to make a phone call, which he'd found very odd (to open an emergency exit to make a phone call).

So, could have been not closed completely after that, or there could have been an accomplice.

It has been confirmed that the guy with the phone was the shooter.. he had bought a ticket... walked out and got his gear from the car parked outside the back door then came back in shooting.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Totally word of mouth but I just heard that police taking him into custody reported his hair was dyed green & he claimed to be the Joker. Anybody seen that from a credible source?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We may be a gun forum. And many of us may think hourly how we would react in certain situations. But unless those reactions are actual instinct, as in you are training *ALL THE TIME* for situations *JUST LIKE THIS* no amount of *thinking about what I would do* is going to prepare you for this.

Simply having a CCW and killing paper at 10yards on a weekly basis does not equate to instinctual situation awareness.

For the record, I recognize that some in this thread do train for such events. I am not negating your experience. However, I would venture to assess that those of you on this board are few and far between.

Perhaps we should be more plentiful and not so far between then? Seems like a good idea to me...

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple of points.
No one can know with certainty what they would do in that situation. Even trained or combat hardened individuals would evaluate the situation before taking action against the bad guy. We don't know what it was like in that theater nor how bad the alleged tear gas was. However I know for certain I would at least do this: For "mine and myself" I would try to retreat first but if I had no other choice I would go against him to buy time for my family and potentially others to get clear. If I was close and a struggle had already ensued you can bet I would help as this would buy time for "mine" to escape...and potentially others as well. While this seems somewhat selfish one must keep in mind that if you are in a place with a stupid DA he could make your life a living heck if your well intentioned actions backfire, so to speak. Also as I always do ... chose your seats wisely. Too close to an entry point (including exists) and you risk being the first to go but too far away you don't get a chance to get clear. At any rate "mine and myself" will not be going near any large crowds for a little bit. These things tend to happen in clusters and I don't want to have to make those kinds of decisions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom