Bear Safe question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the next few months I will be moving an older (at least 20yrs old) bear safe from my grandfathers house up to my house. It is an olde safe with no fire protection built in. Is there a way to install some sort of fireproofing? I am pretty sure there is not a way to do it, however sometimes this site is better than google :)

Thanks

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.bearsafes.net/I'd go ask the guys at bear safe if you can, or call them. I looked into getting a safe from them one time and they showed me the "factory floor" or warehouse where they assemble/ weld the safes... whatever you wanna call it. It's been a while but from what I remember them showing me/ saying they could probably put something in for you. If nothing else you could buy the fireproofing panels and glue them onto the safe yourself. There would still be little cracks and it wouldn't be perfect, but probably better than nothing.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most fireproofing is fire rated sheet-rock. Maybe this link will help, http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html#fireproof

Many safe manufacturers use common sheet-rock as fire-lining. This is not the best solution, because when heated, standard sheet-rock will crumble. There is a sheet-rock that has fiberglass embedded in it. These fibers will maintain the physical strength of the panel as it is heated. Also, keep in mind that the top of the safe is the part that [takes] the brunt of the heat in a fire. Store everything as low as possible in your safe."

The two most commonly-used insulators in gun safes are sheet-rock (gypsum board), and ceramic wool blankets. Ceramic wool has a much higher insulation rating than sheet-rock. However, when sandwiched between steel plates, sheet-rock can be quite effective. As the safe heats up, water molecules contained in the sheet-rock vaporize and form steam. This conversion of water to steam absorbs heat energy. It also serves to pressurize the safe, sealing it off front heat and flames. The problem with sheet-rock is that, after it releases its moisture, it tends to disintegrate, and migrate to the bottom of the safe, leaving hot spots at the top. Ft. Knox is one of the safe-makers that employs an extra assembly stage to secure the sheetrock within the safe walls. Ft. Knox bar-tacks the sheet-rock panels in a matrix so the insulating material stays in place.

ekdkdk1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
call our shop at 405-949-0222.. ( bear safes) it is not recommended that you try to insulate an already built safe. because you will leave to many voids in the fire core. but if you are interested we will garuntee you dollar for dollar what was paid for the safe in trade allowance for a larger/and or same size fire safe..

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
call our shop at 405-949-0222.. ( bear safes) it is not recommended that you try to insulate an already built safe. because you will leave to many voids in the fire core. but if you are interested we will garuntee you dollar for dollar what was paid for the safe in trade allowance for a larger/and or same size fire safe..

These guys are bear safes, give them a call or come by my store here in Tulsa and see what the new safes look like.
We are Distributers for them here in Tulsa.

Franson Firearms
Honeybee

Latest posts

Top Bottom