Bear safes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have known the owner of Bear safe almost since he started the business. I have had one for 30 years I guess and am quite pleased with it. There was one attempt to break into the safe. The burglar left his tools bent up trying to access the insides. The safe sustained a few scratches and that was all.
One lock or two?

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The safe with only one lock is their smallest safe; it is quite secure and still impossible to pry, The small safes at armor vault also only have one lock.
Liberty is an up-grade to get the 1650F rating, Armor Vault does not include a fire barrier but will add one at aditional cost, Bear is 1700F standard.
After 35 years in business no one has ever successfully broken into a bear safe.
And yes they offer a lifetime warranty with full cash value guarantee trade-in, who else does that?
And the price is comparable to everyone else’s.
No it does not have the fancy dials or decals that say Hey I’m full of guns come beat me up and try to break into me but that’s not what I buy my safesfor.

Prying a door open

Last edited:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My bear safe has 2 locks and is probably 30 years old. I bought the bear safe because of the guarantee not looks. I bought security not looks. I bought a bear safe because I know the owner and his reputation for honesty and quality. I know someone tried to break in to it when Dave McCroskey owned it and did nothing to the safe but scratch it a little. I bought the safe from Dave when he upgraded it. It has served me well. Huckleberry bought one at an estate sale and one of the bear safe people picked up the safe from the estate sale site and installed it for him at his house at a reasonable price. Honeybee knows the quality of a bear safe. One other point that probably few people know about a bear safe and that is keys. If you need another set made can you just go to walmart and have another pair made??? No. You have to go to bear safe and they will have them made for you. Is that somewhat of a hassle? Maybe, but I call it piece of mind and security. There is an additional point to make. Gene Sears is a dealer and Bear Safe is the manufacturer, both are Oklahoma based companies. Who will get a problem solved quicker a dealer or a local manufacturer? You get what you pay for.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i need to call armor vault and check prices. i like that bear safes are fireproofed, not just an add on. we will see what their prices are. the double lock is a plus, i may have to upgrade to that.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The locks on a Bear Safe are different NOT identical and CANNOT be duplicated at Lowe's, Home Depot or Walmart.

The locks on YOUR bear are not identical.

Mine does have identical locks, but was not able to get copies from a lowes/home depot.

The hinges are on the outside, but have you looked at them closely? Those suckers are built like a tank. The only way you are getting into a Bear, without a cutting torch, is the key. And a torch will just ruin most anything in it, so why bother.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The locks on YOUR bear are not identical.

Mine does have identical locks, but was not able to get copies from a lowes/home depot.

The hinges are on the outside, but have you looked at them closely? Those suckers are built like a tank. The only way you are getting into a Bear, without a cutting torch, is the key. And a torch will just ruin most anything in it, so why bother.
I take that back, I had my keys duplicated at the locksmith.
The hinges are exposed but they have internal locking angle iron on the door so that when it is closed and the hinges are cut off, the door hinge side still will not open. MINE HAS FULL LENGTH ANGLE ON THE HINGE SIDE, unlike the ones that I saw on display that had 3 small 2" pieces of angle welded to the hinge side internally.
I sent pics to Chazro so he knows what to look for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom