Beetles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure there may be one or two of you guys out there that have beetles for cleaning skulls. I have been toying with the ideal of trying to start a colony to do some skulls for myself and maybe make a little cash on the side. Any tips or words of caution. I kinda have an idea of the setup I am gonna make for them, but would enjoy seeing what you have. And if any of you would like to donate a starter colony to me that would be okay to :yelclap:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my skull back yesterday from a guy in blackwell that is trying to do the same thing as you. He didn't charge me anything as this skull was the crash test dummy. He did a really good job in my opinion. He had some domestic beetles(don't ask me about them as I don't know one beetle from another)
and he had some of the African beetles. He said that before getting the african ones, you have to prove you have a container they can't escape from.
He also said the African beetles were twice as quick as the domestic. Thats all I know about it.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought mine on ebay. My first tank was a 55 gallon aquarium and I've got another setup using an old freezer. They can get a little stinky, but it keeps my wife out of the shop.;)

There's a lot of good info on taxidermy.net

Here's the skulls and skeletons forum.
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?board=17.0

I've learned a lot from there.

How stinky? I live in town are my neighbors gonna hate me?

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my skull back yesterday from a guy in blackwell that is trying to do the same thing as you. He didn't charge me anything as this skull was the crash test dummy. He did a really good job in my opinion. He had some domestic beetles(don't ask me about them as I don't know one beetle from another)
and he had some of the African beetles. He said that before getting the african ones, you have to prove you have a container they can't escape from.
He also said the African beetles were twice as quick as the domestic. Thats all I know about it.

Who was the guy in Blackwell?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Sounds like another foreign intruder in the making. Add to starlings, english sparrows, asian carp, etc. Who knows though, maybe it will be a success like the Chinese pheasants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom