Being blessed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like doing stuff for others, but it makes me very uncomfortable to have someone do something for me. If I even think someone might offer to do something for me, I try to avoid the situation.
Millions and billions of years ago I had struck a pretty good friendship with a guy that was much older than I, and I was able to do a couple of small things for him, and then he had the chance to do something for me, and I said no. And then he said a good friendship means you allow me to pay you back, can you allow me to do that? I had a hard time with that, but I realized what true friendship was, you think it's all about helping someone else out, but you have to let them feel that warmth as well. Thank you Merv.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been known to drop more than a dollar on groceries for someone in my line who is short. I've also seen people in line behind someone having difficulty pick up the balance -- often as much as $20-30 bucks. Occasionally more ... Working here has renewed my faith in mankind. There are a lot of people out there helping just because they can and an opportunity presented itself.

We just tend to focus on the takers, not the givers, that's all. And I'm as guilty of that as the next guy ...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t need a thing. Just commenting. My wife says I’m prideful for not letting others do stuff for me. :anyone:
Well that can change someday, dont hesitate to ask for help. Pride can be a negative thing sometimes.
Hell, I have to ask for help to change light bulbs in my 10' ceiling now days. I dont dare get on a ladder again and I get vertigo when I look up too long. I'm not gonna die falling off a ladder.
I wont fly anymore because my mobility restricts how much or fast I walk and large airports scare me. Then I was told I can get a wheelchair and move me to the front of the line...my pride wont let me do that. So I drive or dont go.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that can change someday, dont hesitate to ask for help. Pride can be a negative thing sometimes.
Hell, I have to ask for help to change light bulbs in my 10' ceiling now days. I dont dare get on a ladder again and I get vertigo when I look up too long. I'm not gonna die falling off a ladder.
I wont fly anymore because my mobility restricts how much or fast I walk and large airports scare me. Then I was told I can get a wheelchair and move me to the front of the line...my pride wont let me do that. So I drive or dont go.
Try Meclizine for Vertigo. Its over the counter. Sometimes used for seasickness as well.
I get vertigo occasionally. This is what the VA gives me. Works and I don't get drowsy which is a side effect for some people.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've told this story before here, but it's always worth hearing again. :thumb:

In 2009, my oldest daughter turned 18. As traditional with my family, we always go to the restaurant of the birthday person's choice. Well, she chose Joe's Crab Shack. I wasn't making much money at that time in my life, and I knew that Joe's was kinda pricey.

So, I made a thread about Joe's here at OSA, asking if the one in OKC was any better than the one in Tulsa, or if a Joe's is a Joe's is a Joe's. Several members commented saying they are a chain and basically like any other chain, if you've had one, you've basically had them all.

I also asked about how much I could expect to pay up at the end of the day and most folks said to be prepared. It just so happen that one of our members here from Tulsa said that he was buddies with the manager of the Joe's in Tulsa, and if we chose to go to that one, he could get me a gift card. So we agreed and that Saturday my crew and I left for Tulsa.

We arrived at Joe's and I called this member and told him we were there. He said he was stuck in traffic, but would be there shortly. He said we should go ahead and go inside, make our order and he would call when he got there and I could meet him outside to get the gift card from him, because he had somewhere to be.

We made our order, my youngest daughter, Mrs. GED and I ordered the cheapest thing on the menu, thataway the birthday girl could order whatever she wanted since it was her day. As soon as the waitress left with our orders, he calls.

I excuse myself from the table, meet him in the parking lot, we shake hands, introduce ourselves and BS for a few minutes. He then hands me the card in an envelope, says have a good time and leaves. I go back inside, sit down, open the envelope and discover that the card was worth...

$100!!! :faint:

I called him back and said "what the hell?" He said that's a drop in the bucket for the manager. He also said he was a paramedic and the manager and his friends were motocross guys and he would always treat their routine motorcycle wounds for free.

I know, I know...100 bucks doesn't sound like much to most of you guys, but on my salary (especially back then) it was a helluva lot. I was very, very appreciative. I think our tab came to $65 or so. We paid for the meal with the gift card and then our daughter bought herself and her little sister some T-shirts with the balance. It was a good day and I could have never made it happen without his help and generosity.

Sorry for the novella... :blahblah:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I've told this story before here, but it's always worth hearing again. :thumb:

In 2009, my oldest daughter turned 18. As traditional with my family, we always go to the restaurant of the birthday person's choice. Well, she chose Joe's Crab Shack. I wasn't making much money at that time in my life, and I knew that Joe's was kinda pricey.

So, I made a thread about Joe's here at OSA, asking if the one in OKC was any better than the one in Tulsa, or if a Joe's is a Joe's is a Joe's. Several members commented saying they are a chain and basically like any other chain, if you've had one, you've basically had them all.

I also asked about how much I could expect to pay up at the end of the day and most folks said to be prepared. It just so happen that one of our members here from Tulsa said that he was buddies with the manager of the Joe's in Tulsa, and if we chose to go to that one, he could get me a gift card. So we agreed and that Saturday my crew and I left for Tulsa.

We arrived at Joe's and I called this member and told him we were there. He said he was stuck in traffic, but would be there shortly. He said we should go ahead and go inside, make our order and he would call when he got there and I could meet him outside to get the gift card from him, because he had somewhere to be.

We made our order, my youngest daughter, Mrs. GED and I ordered the cheapest thing on the menu, thataway the birthday girl could order whatever she wanted since it was her day. As soon as the waitress left with our orders, he calls.

I excuse myself from the table, meet him in the parking lot, we shake hands, introduce ourselves and BS for a few minutes. He then hands me the card in an envelope, says have a good time and leaves. I go back inside, sit down, open the envelope and discover that the card was worth...

$100!!! :faint:

I called him back and said "what the hell?" He said that's a drop in the bucket for the manager. He also said he was a paramedic and the manager and his friends were motocross guys and he would always treat their routine motorcycle wounds for free.

I know, I know...100 bucks doesn't sound like much to most of you guys, but on my salary (especially back then) it was a helluva lot. I was very, very appreciative. I think our tab came to $65 or so. We paid for the meal with the gift card and then our daughter bought herself and her little sister some T-shirts with the balance. It was a good day and I could have never made it happen without his help and generosity.

Sorry for the novella... :blahblah:
Keep these kind of novellas going. Makes for a good morning compared to George calling Fred an idiot cause Fred thinks different!!
Great thread OP!

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep these kind of novellas going. Makes for a good morning compared to George calling Fred an idiot cause Fred thinks different!!
Great thread OP!
Here’s mine,
I gave a lady that worked the Fed Ex counter at the airport 300.00 so she could go see her very ill mother in California, 45 minutes later I got a call from the Amarillo Texas police department and was informed my Colt gov. Model .380 that was stolen 9 yrs earlier had been recovered in a stolen car, he said I could come get it or he would ship it if I paid the freight charges, I told him to let me know how much it was and I send him a money order and he agreed and said he would do it when he got back from vacation in a week, Well, two days later the Catoosa police department ( the place we agreed to ship to) called me to inform me my gun was there??? I went to retrieve it and called him when he got back to work and asked him where to send money order to and he replied “ it’s all good, we got it for you “ it was a great feeling to help someone that really needed help and the reward was pretty cool as well !

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like doing stuff for others, but it makes me very uncomfortable to have someone do something for me. If I even think someone might offer to do something for me, I try to avoid the situation.
I use to be the same way. We went thru a rough patch a few years ago and lost most of our belongings but we were rebuilding everything. Several people would offer to help repeatably. Which I mostly said nah we don’t need anything. We are good.

An older gentleman pulled me to the side one day and said.

“By not accepting help from people, even strangers you are robbing them of a joy in their life. They are doing it because it makes them feel good not because they pity you.”

This guy is a double amputee with prosthetics and volunteers on a disaster relief team. From then on I try to accept it with a smile and pay it back or forward when I can.

So if you are too prideful to accept help from people just remember that not accepting it sometimes is the same punching somebody in the gut or kicking their dog. You are hurting them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom