Benchtop setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am getting ready to set my new Lee Press and powder dispenser on my bench. What is the best placement for them? Press on the right edge or center edge of the bench? Powder dispenser to the right or left of press, etc? Just looking for ideas from those that have gone there before. Thanks.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Try a couple of mock-ups before you drill any holes for permanent mounting.
When I first started out my press was bolted to a 1X6 and I clamped that to what ever table I was using at the time.
What I ended up with allows a left to right work flow.
My scale is on the left and the press is on the right side. with room for completed rounds further to the right.
Components (brass and bullets) are more or less in the middle.
My powder measure is mounted on my turret press.

When I was doing single stage operations. I worked in batches of 50 or 100.
I would start with primed cases. I would powder charge each case, set a bullet on each charged case then run them through the seating/crimp operation.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of like RL said. Do a couple dry runs to see what works. Plus it kind of depends on how much space you have. I've got two complete setups on one of my benches for when one of the boys show up and want to reload or for when we do assembly line. But for the most part I like having my powder measure on the left. Then plenty of space around them for the stuff that seems to accumulate while reloading. Room for empties on the left and loaded on the right. But that's just me.

Jim Thompson

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one end of my bench set up with the powder measure set up to the left and back a bit from the press. This way, you can put the powder in it from the powder measure, holding the brass in your left hand and set it in your press. Once the brass is in the press, put a bullet in it, and pull the handle. If you put the powder measure on the right side, your constantly going back and forth from one side of your loader to the other. This works for my single stage press. I also have two Dillons. I just need to make sure with these that I have enough clearance to reload. I've set these up so I still have enough space in he middle to clean my guns. Clamp your press down and run through a few dry runs to make sure that's want you want before drilling holes. I would say if your bench is long enough, don't be afraid to give yourself a little room to work. You'll never regret it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom