Best DAO trigger??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Glock is NOT DA. Just because there is not a visible cocked hammer does not mean the gun is DA/DAO.

But that's really beside the point. What you want is consistently smooth and predictable. Glock does meet this. Better yet, the M&P trigger worked over by Accurate Iron (olyeller on this board).

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like you really like a SA trigger pull and may not be happy with a double action pull. If that is the case you might look at a CZ-75 compact where you have a DA first pull and a SA trigger after that, and the gun can also be "cocked and locked" with the thumb safety on.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like you really like a SA trigger pull and may not be happy with a double action pull. If that is the case you might look at a CZ-75 compact where you have a DA first pull and a SA trigger after that, and the gun can also be "cocked and locked" with the thumb safety on.

Or you could get a SIG X5 if you like that combination.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like the Glock trigger, but it is not long by any means. It's actually really darn short (relatively speaking) due to the fact it is a pre-cocked striker-fired pistol. An XD is extremely similar, though classified as a single action. The M&P is similar as well.

It sounds like you want a short trigger, which just isn't going to be there on a a true DAO. You have to have some distance in the pull to work the mechanical cocking of the gun. A short SAO trigger is simply letting the hammer/striker fly.

If you want a good true DAO trigger, I would be looking at revolvers to be honest. The model 10 I shoot has been worked over by Clark down in Louisiana, but out of the box revolvers are some of the better ones. If I am shooting DAO, I like watching the trigger pull actually do something! And seeing the hammer cock and cylinder turn on a revolver, I get that visual feedback :)

But a revolver is a bit large for pocket carry (for me and my dress). So I chose a mouse-gun-sized semi auto. My Ruger LCP trigger is easily good enough for social work, but I wouldn't call it a "good" trigger based on what you are describing.

If you are looking at a semi auto, Kahr are long but smooth. I have also heard good things about the Beretta "D" series of full-size pistols (92D, 96D) though I have not handled one.

danbob10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the para LDA's......the only DA (kinda) that I've carried is the kahr....very even and dependable pull. My girlfriend really liked it, so she carries it now. Hope that helps.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DA and SA to me are confusing terms. To me the only true DA are the revolvers and some semi-autos like Ruger and the old P-38. DA means there are two distinct methods of shooting. So that means a Glock, in my terms, is a SA, since there is only one way to shoot them. But apparently my terms and correct terms are not the same, so I just call a gun what I think most other folks call it. Aren't Glocks described as a "safe action"?

I reckon I'll just look at everything and figger out what's most comfortable for me.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DA just means that pulling the trigger works the cocking mechanism before releasing and firing. DAO is to distinguish guns that must operate like that every time (i.e.: there is no way to cock the hammer, and/or the slide action doesn't cock the hammer.)

When you pull the trigger on a Glock or Kahr, it draws the striker back and releases... Hence DA. They only work that way, so they're DAO.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, thanks to all who replied. I finally broke down and bought this:

[Broken External Image]

I really liked the Springfield XD-M, but I just couldn't say no to an older style. Hey, I'm the guy who thinks the Colt Walker is the epitome of handguns.:rollingla

Here's the first 20 shots through it. The little outside targets were slow fire, the center was rapid fire. At 7 yards. I'm really proud of the top right target, that's 4 bullets through the same hole. It looks like I'll have to tap the rear sight a bit to the right, and maybe take some off the top of the front, but overall I'm very pleased.

[Broken External Image]

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First off, thanks to all who replied. I finally broke down and bought this:

[Broken External Image]

I really liked the Springfield XD-M, but I just couldn't say no to an older style. Hey, I'm the guy who thinks the Colt Walker is the epitome of handguns.:rollingla

Here's the first 20 shots through it. The little outside targets were slow fire, the center was rapid fire. At 7 yards. I'm really proud of the top right target, that's 4 bullets through the same hole. It looks like I'll have to tap the rear sight a bit to the right, and maybe take some off the top of the front, but overall I'm very pleased.

[Broken External Image]

Nothing wrong with a Walker, it was till the advent on the .44magnum and the model 29 the most powerful handgun of its time.

As to John Browings creation, thats a gun that has stood the test of time, and will be 100yrs old here real soon. The only other gun to surpass it is the S&W M&P/Model 10.

Latest posts

Top Bottom