Best HD Weather Radar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTF is "HD radar"? ;)

Seriously, though. Radarscope on iOS. PYKL3 on Android (and I know several people who cited Pykl3 as a reason for getting an Android device). If you want faster and more reliable updates during a severe weather outbreak, you'll also want a subscription to Caprock or Allison House, since the NWS servers can get pretty overloaded.

The software from GRLevelX is really good, and StormLab looks pretty good, too. Both of those are for computers, and can process Level 2 data if you want/need it.

Here's some screenshots from PYKL3 last night. The first was just as the El Reno tornado hit the ground. I really was expecting to hear about injured chasers (green dots on the map).

947167_10152890981290054_1520059831_n.jpg

485777_10152891151945054_1432244256_n.jpg

(For some reason that screenshot gave a grey box instead of the TVS marker, but the app was showing it correctly.)

978020_10152891218795054_1181337134_o.jpg

(You can also click anywhere and get information about that pixel, as well as the nearest chaser.)

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, though. Radarscope on iOS. PYKL3 on Android
Yup, I've used both and they're great. I have PYKL3 on both of my Android devices and use it often. www.aviationweather.gov is another good resource. Their radar is better than PYKL3 for a quick look as you get looping w/o waiting and faster load times. It's not as good for detailed views though. If you know/learn how to read a TAF and METAR it's also a great source for wx predictions near an airport. They're only good for 5nm surrounding the field, but it's usually a good enough wag for the city surrounding. Search by using the airport ICAO identifier. KTIK for Tinker, KOKC for OKC, KTUL for Tulsa, KLTS for Altus. Just google search the base/field if you don't know the ID. They'll work for most small fields too, military or civilian.

aviation weather has a mobile app (free) and their website. Browse the site and you'll find all kinds of useful tools that are helpful on the ground and when flying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom