Best scope for Ruger 10/22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More specifically, would you rather have a fixed 3x or 4x, or would you rather have a 2-7x or 3-9x or some other variable scope?

I see these as 10-100yrd guns out of the box so what scopes are you all using?

Tailgate

Marksman
Reaction score
It depends on what you are using it for. If you are doing NRL22 matches, you will want something like a 6-24x. If you are using it for plinking or rabbit hunting, I think a 3-9x scope can't be beat...it's why it has been the most popular scope for 50+ years.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my all time favorite 22lr scope. I might buy another just to keep on hand, they used to be $99. Still a great scope for $150.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-6x-scope-with-the-patented-acss-22lr-reticle
I have one on my 10/22 50th anniversary VLEH target tactical, and one on my Henry H001. Can’t be beat for range use, shooting turtles, or hunting squirrels and rabbits. The reticule allows you to range beer bottles, squirrels, or anything roughly that size out to 200 yards. Pretty decent glass, no turrets to bump, no zoom or parallax to play with. Just point and shoot.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was going to build one for lightweight and short range, 50 yards and less then a 4x leupold. if precision is top and weight unimportant then 4-12 or 16. My current hunting 10/22 wears a RedField 2-7 from academy and its nice. My browning t bolt with a 22" sporter barrel has a Nikon 3-9 prostaff rimfire on it and thats just a sweet setup.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good advice above. In your original post, saying a 22lr is a 100 yard gun is a bit of a push unless using a special gun with very good ammo. There are at least three different classes of 10/22s. Carbine with thin barrel, target with heavy barrel and takedown. You could also add bench rest but most of those guns are not really a Ruger any more. Just removed a 4x from a carbine as 50 yard groups on sand bags was not were I wanted them to be. My eyes more than the gun/ammo, well into retirement. I have temporarily installed a 4x16 Nikon for ammo/barrel testing. I cut a bit of the shoulder and chamber face off this barrel to reduce the factory freeborn in the chamber. Wanted to see if accuracy would improve. My heavy barrel guns have variables with 12x typical at top end. the 4x16 will eventually go on the most accurate of these. A 2x7 mounted on a cantilever mount off the barrel has worked very well on the takedown. Well under 1" groups with bulk ammo at 50 yds which is pretty good for a takedown. The new parts hanging off the takedown action cost more than the original gun.

I was looking thru my scope box earlier today and I found I have an older ~1x4 bushnell and a newer ~1.5x5 leupold. One of those will probably go on the carbine as I like the lower power for trying to hit running rabbits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom