Better carry a back-up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually wore a vest similar to this for over 30 years. It all started with lower back pain and my doctor said part of it could be from sitting on my wallet. So I explored the vest idea to solve this. It's utility expanded from there. It became xtremely handy for all the kit I wanted with me every day. I have actually wore out 2 of them. The one I preferred was made by Colombia but was discontinued many years ago. I would go on ebay occasionally and buy NOS or lightly used ones and built up a supply of them. I carried a Microtech Combat Troodon in the right front hand pocket. It was by far the fastest and most covert way to deploy a blade other that a lenghty fixed blade knife in a belt sheaf. It was great for cell phone carry in the left front hand pocket. I hate carrying a phone in my pants pocket. I didn't carry near the stuff Ayoob does, but flashlight, low profile tools like screwdrivers, small channel locks, a second folding knife which was actually used for most normal cutting needs and other things like band aids. Sometimes I would trade out the Troodon for a small 5 shot revolver. You could reach in and grab it and fire right through the pocket if you had to shoot quickly. When it came time to wash it, it would take me 2-3 minutes to switch out everything from one vest to the other. I was basically a wearable backpack. It was funny when I would go to the Dr. Office and they would ask me to step on the scale to weigh me. I would take the vest off (and no there was no firearm in it at the time) and hand it to the nurse to hold. They would always say wow this thing is really heavy. Depending on loadout, it was between 4-5 pounds. The most annoying thing about wearing it was the constant "so you like to fly fish do you" comments. I used to explain it was a cargo vest, but got tired of doing that all the time and just started saying yes. I was always known around work as the vest guy. Since retiring and moving to the country, I rarely go anywhere that I need all that stuff and don't put it on much anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom