Electrical question for those who spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the process of redoing our laundry room and one of the improvements i want to make is 1) adding a couple of outlets in more useful places and 2) replacing the single fixture with two LED can lights.

In scouting the project i realized that the way the room is wired is that the power source from the breaker goes into the ceiling box, feeds one outlet and then goes to the switch (the outlet is always live, but the switch does operate the light).

What i'm trying to figure out now is if it's worth my time to pull a new wire to the switch so that the power goes through the switch before going to my new LED lights.

Given that i'm also looking to add a new outlet leg, it seems like it might be easier to split everything up between the existing ceiling box (which i'll put a faceplate over) and a new junction box. But again, i don't know if it makes more sense to go ahead and put the switch ahead of the lights at this point.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really doesnt matter on the switch just as long as you have a hot leg feeding into switch and a control leg feeding out

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really doesnt matter on the switch just as long as you have a hot leg feeding into switch and a control leg feeding out
thanks. That is what i thought but i wasn't sure how complicated it would get once i started adding things and if it'd make more sense to try to feed/split the outlets through one box and the lights another.

Latest posts

Top Bottom