Better Lay In a Supply Of Firewood, It's Gonna Get Cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a propane powered generator due to the last freeze, it got too cold for my gasoline one to start.
https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100648883.html
I got this little guy at the Costco opening in Moore for $700. I have a natural gas valve on my back porch already, but plan on adding one next to the garage as I have a natural gas line and my electrical panel all right there. I usually have enough gas to fill this up in the off chance I needed to, but I usually have about 120lbs of propane on hand if for some reason I couldnt run on NG

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a propane powered generator due to the last freeze, it got too cold for my gasoline one to start.
I have a gas powered Champion that runs almost my whole house. I can’t run the furnace or it will be too big a load with everything else. But I have a fireplace so I can heat up some areas of my house quite a bit. It started the same as it does in the summer. Best investment I could have made. It was $999 and got the interlock breaker installed for $200. It is 11,500 starting watts and 9,200 running watts. Someone posted a place where we can get a kit that will convert it to bi fuel or tri fuel. I am gonna get one soon. Looked really easy to install. That way I can use my propane.

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a gas powered Champion that runs almost my whole house. I can’t run the furnace or it will be too big a load with everything else. But I have a fireplace so I can heat up some areas of my house quite a bit. It started the same as it does in the summer. Best investment I could have made. It was $999 and got the interlock breaker installed for $200. It is 11,500 starting watts and 9,200 running watts. Someone posted a place where we can get a kit that will convert it to bi fuel or tri fuel. I am gonna get one soon. Looked really ways to install. That way I can use my propane.

I have a gas, vent free fireplace, but most everything in my house is NG. Water heater, furnace, stove, fireplace, dryer, so my electrical demand is about as low as we can get. ONG loved me in February though. I wonder if we start our generator on one fuel, like LP or NG, if we can shut it off that feed, and it run off gas at that point? I do like running on LP or NG since it burns cleaner, its not as hard on the engine, or engine oil, plus not having to fill it, but I wonder if I would need the extra power.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a gas, vent free fireplace, but most everything in my house is NG. Water heater, furnace, stove, fireplace, dryer, so my electrical demand is about as low as we can get. ONG loved me in February though. I wonder if we start our generator on one fuel, like LP or NG, if we can shut it off that feed, and it run off gas at that point? I do like running on LP or NG since it burns cleaner, its not as hard on the engine, or engine oil, plus not having to fill it, but I wonder if I would need the extra power.
The one I got will switch fuels, which is a good thing as I don't have to try and keep gas around.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a gas powered Champion that runs almost my whole house. I can’t run the furnace or it will be too big a load with everything else. But I have a fireplace so I can heat up some areas of my house quite a bit. It started the same as it does in the summer. Best investment I could have made. It was $999 and got the interlock breaker installed for $200. It is 11,500 starting watts and 9,200 running watts. Someone posted a place where we can get a kit that will convert it to bi fuel or tri fuel. I am gonna get one soon. Looked really ways to install. That way I can use my propane.
About what the one I have will do and I have a 50 amp transfer switch hooked up to my breaker box, so I can run everything. It will barely cover the A/C.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Global cooling and an ice age were what the alarmists were shouting about all through the 1970s.

One of the reasons for the birth of the EPA, to fight the onset of global cooling. We were all going to die because the crops would all fail.

I remember it, don't you ?
Actually that was a man made problem! With the prevalence of above ground nuclear testing from 1945 to 1963 enough dust was propelled into the upper atmosphere that we had a mini prolonged "nuclear winter."

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Climate scientists are like diet doctors . . . none of 'em can ever agree on anything.
When I wake up and see the bird bath frozen, I know it's cold out. When birds start dropping out of the sky, I know it's hot out, and when the truck chain hanging from the fence stands out straight, I know it's windy out. Nuff said.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I am on all electric except my vent free fireplace is propane. It runs the AC, well, hot water tank and everything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom