Bicyclists causing traffic problems in Sand Springs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tag and license bike riders like we do autos and motorcycles, then build them a separate bike lane off the road where they can ride side by side all day long.
This needs to be what is done. Bicycles do not belong on the road with automobiles.

They cannot maintain speed, they hinder traffic, disregard the rules of the road, and rarely ever move over. I agree that if they wanna ride on the road, they need to be licensed and insured like everything else.

They need to make designated lanes like sidewalks just for them. I remember this when I was a kid in Germany.

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In OKC there's a paved bike/pedestrian trail around lake Hefner about 10-20 or so feet beside the lake road.
So instead of using the paved bike trail that tax payers paid tens of thousands of dollars to have built for them, some cyclists ride the road, right next to the trail.

I get it, pedestrians are in their way on the trail, and it's legal for them to be on the road (a 2 lane road with no shoulders), so they ride on the main road and get in the way of cars.

Every body just stay out of my way!

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tag and license bike riders like we do autos and motorcycles, then build them a separate bike lane off the road where they can ride side by side all day long.
I already tag and insure 5 vehicles and pay around 40% of my earned money in taxes that is misspent by the govt, so no. F that! I'm not tagging my 12 bikes, my wifes bike and all my 4 grandkids bikes.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In OKC there's a paved bike/pedestrian trail around lake Hefner about 10-20 or so feet beside the lake road.
So instead of using the paved bike trail that tax payers paid tens of thousands of dollars to have built for them, some cyclists ride the road, right next to the trail.

I get it, pedestrians are in their way on the trail, and it's legal for them to be on the road (a 2 lane road with no shoulders), so they ride on the main road and get in the way of cars.

Every body just stay out of my way!
That trail comes down and goes around Overholser also. For YEARS I defended bikers' being on the road. Yeah ... I dunno now. Seems like the bike riders around here could stand to take a class in civility and sharing the road. 🤨🤬🤬🤬

There was a biker killed over here several years ago -- don't remember exactly what the circumstances were. Seems like that would have been an eye-opener for everyone, biker and car driver. But if anything it's gotten worse. I can't even enjoy a drive around the lake anymore.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That trail comes down and goes around Overholser also. For YEARS I defended bikers' being on the road. Yeah ... I dunno now. Seems like the bike riders around here could stand to take a class in civility and sharing the road. 🤨🤬🤬🤬

There was a biker killed over here several years ago -- don't remember exactly what the circumstances were. Seems like that would have been an eye-opener for everyone, biker and car driver. But if anything it's gotten worse. I can't even enjoy a drive around the lake anymore.
I've ridden with i think 2 maybe 3 that really embarrassed me to ride with, to the point that I didn't want to ride with the group anymore.
But there's always 1, just like cops, just like auto drivers, just like anything.
After I got hit on my bike by an auto in november it has changed my cycling world a bunch. Heck, over $25k with amberlamps ride and medical bills still unpaid and insurance of the hit and run driver still says they aren't covering anything.
People are to busy on their phone than to worry about driving even when cyclist have 3 LED/Strobe tail lights(me). Pic below shows the tail lights I use and was using the day I got runover.

Attachments

• IMG_4056.jpeg
    IMG_4056.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bike trail doesn't actually go around Overholser, it goes down the east side and connects to the trail that goes downtown. So, there's no way to avoid the road unless you haul everything to the east side.

My thoughts - around Overholser and Hefner, if you are in a hurry, why are you driving on a 'scenic' road with a 20 MPH limit? And at Hefner especially, you've got tons of runners, roller blades etc in addition to the bikes. There's lots of times on the dam at Hefner I see people driving like they are late for work, when literally you could throw a baseball to Hefner road below that's running 50 mph.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've ridden with i think 2 maybe 3 that really embarrassed me to ride with, to the point that I didn't want to ride with the group anymore.
But there's always 1, just like cops, just like auto drivers, just like anything.
After I got hit on my bike by an auto in november it has changed my cycling world a bunch. Heck, over $25k with amberlamps ride and medical bills still unpaid and insurance of the hit and run driver still says they aren't covering anything.
People are to busy on their phone than to worry about driving even when cyclist have 3 LED/Strobe tail lights(me). Pic below shows the tail lights I use and was using the day I got runover.
I'm with you, man. I used to hate cyclists on the road, then I became a trail runner.

I'm now advocating for motorized access to Turkey Mountain.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bike trail doesn't actually go around Overholser, it goes down the east side and connects to the trail that goes downtown. So, there's no way to avoid the road unless you haul everything to the east side.

My thoughts - around Overholser and Hefner, if you are in a hurry, why are you driving on a 'scenic' road with a 20 MPH limit? And at Hefner especially, you've got tons of runners, roller blades etc in addition to the bikes. There's lots of times on the dam at Hefner I see people driving like they are late for work, when literally you could throw a baseball to Hefner road below that's running 50 mph.

I dunno what your definition of "enjoy a drive around the lake is" but I am NOT driving a ****ing race car. And I don't go over the 20 mph speed limit. So jump down off that high horse. My point is bikers want us to "share" the road. So SHARE it. 🤨 And have some manners. Just like you want ME to have some. I've NEVER passed a biker when it was unsafe to do so. But I've sure been flipped off when I passed when they actively tried to keep me from doing so. I'm sorry y'all are so ******* put upon by having to SHARE the road with us damned motorists. I dunno what to tell you other than I don't drive around Overholser anymore. There ... You got your way. 🤬

Latest posts

Top Bottom