big guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a .375 H&H. One of the most accurate guns I own, and a pussycat to shoot with 300 grain bullets. Bought it for resale, but got attached. It might be the last rifle I would turn loose of.

This gun is a Whitworth bolt on a commercial Mauser action made in the early 80s and imported. Stock is like the shiny Remingtons from the 80s and checkering is pressed, but it shoots cloverleaf groups of three at 100 yards in significant wind. Damage to game is minimal. Just a big ol' hole through and through. CB

Well here's the whole problem: you've got an elephant gun that'll thread a needle. There are seven distinct packages of meat on a deer. Your best rifle will bring a deer down without touching any of them, provided you can shoot the damn thing.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my all time favorite cartoons was in Playboy, I think in the '70s.

It shows a trail of destruction in small town America with a dead elephant at the end of it. A chubby little guy in safari drag is reloading a double rifle, and a woman, presumably his wife, is saying something like "Harold, I will never tease you again for carrying that elephant gun."

I am looking for a copy of this thing. Would appreciate it if you know of a source. CB

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mean this one? Uncaptioned, but looks right.

awww.stlmedia.net_pix_cartoon_gahanwilson.jpg

"Honestly, Harry, I'll never tease you again for carrying around that elephant gun!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom